8. Hazel fights Sciron

Nico pointed. "There."

A narrow set of steps was carved into the cliff, leading to the top. The turtle, the dead-end channel, the cliff. I got nervous seeing it. That cliff was very narrow and the stairs were very old. 

Hazel cleared her throat and kept reading aloud: "I do mean all your valuables. Otherwise my turtle and I will destroy you. You have five minutes."

"Use the catapults!" cried the coach.

"P.S.," Hazel read, "Don't even think about using your catapults." "Curse it!" said the coach. "This guy is good."

"Is the note signed?" Nico asked. It wasn't, 

Leo studied the cliff top and muttered under his breath. "That's not a good trajectory. Even if I could arm the catapult before that guy pincushioned us with arrows, I don't think I could make the shot. That's hundreds of feet, almost straight up."

"Yeah," Frank grumbled. "My bow is useless too. He's got a huge advantage, being above us like that. I couldn't reach him."

"And, um..." Piper nudged the arrow that was stuck in the mast. "I have a feeling he's a good shot. I don't think he meant to hit me. But if he did..."

She didn't need to elaborate. Whoever that robber was, he could hit a target from hundreds of feet away. He could shoot them all before they could react.

"I'll go," Hazel said.

Frank gripped his bow. "Hazel—"

"No, listen," she said, "this robber wants valuables. I can go up there, summon gold, jewels, whatever he wants."

Leo raised an eyebrow. "If we pay him off, you think he'll actually let us go?"

"We don't have much choice," Nico said. "Between that guy and the turtle..."

Jason raised his hand. All of us went silent. 

"I'll go too," he said. "The letter says two people. I'll take Hazel up there and watch her back. Besides, I don't like the look of those steps. If Hazel falls... well, I can use the winds to keep us both from coming down the hard way." It made sense but I don't like the idea of Hazel and Jason together. Don't get me wrong he's a very good guy but in serious situation he was hard to read. Normally, by looking at him you can tell what was in his mind but in situations like this it was difficult. 

"I have to, Arion," Hazel said. "Jason...yes. I think you're right. It's the best plan." She had hesitation in her voice. 

"Only wish I had my sword." Jason glared at the coach. "It's back there at the bottom of the sea, and we don't have Percy to retrieve it."

The name Percy passed over them like a cloud. The mood on deck got even darker.

Hazel stretched out her hand. And Jason's sword flew into her hand. 

"Here," she said, handing it over.

Jason's eyes widened. "How... That was like half a mile!"

"I've been practicing," she said. I have been asleep most times she was on duty but I don't think I've seen her practice. I'm overthinking this. 

After they left. I was watching them at some point. Hazel almost lost her balance but caught herself. I know you're supposed to pray to your parents when they're god it's like an unspoken rule but at that moment I prayed to Hades. "Please talk to your daughter show her the guidance she needs. She has already suffered enough but you being ignorant of that hurt her. Please acknowledge her God is riches and souls. The king of the underworld please." 

After a few minutes I saw Jason fall and be eaten by the turtle. I ran towards the edge to somehow convince the turtle to spit my friend out. But then all of a sudden Jason was just flying near the mountain like nothing happened. What just happened? It hit me Hazel can control the Mist. I decided not to say anything because what if someone was listening. I think only I can see that Jason is still alive and well. Because Piper is manning the catapult. 

Then I saw the man from before falling from the cliff and I think that was when others can see what was truly happening. Jason came to the ship with Hazel in his hands. I was concerned but she was breathing fine and her facial expression was relaxed. Frank just carried her to her room. He stayed with her till she woke up. Which took a while.