8. Handsomest Giant

I readied my sword and gave my spear to Reyna.

'Get out of here!' Phoebe readied her bow.

Celyn and Naomi ran to the smoking doorway, only to be cut down by black arrows.

Phoebe screamed in rage. She returned fire as Amazons rushed forward with shields and swords. 'Reyna!' Hylla pulled her arm. 'We must leave!'

"Yeah Reyna go! I'll Handle everything here!"

'We can't just –'

'My guards will buy you time!' Hylla shouted. 'Your quest must succeed! Y/n you're also a part of the quest'

I ran behind Reyna holding her hand. 

They reached the side door and Reyna glanced back I did too out of instinct. Dozens of wolves – grey wolves like the ones in Portugal – surged into the warehouse. Amazons hurried to intercept them. The smoke-filled doorway was piled with bodies of the fallen: Celyn, Naomi, Phoebe. The ginger-haired Hunter who'd lived for thousands of years now sprawled unmoving, her eyes wide with shock, an oversized black- and-red arrow buried in her gut. The Kinzie charged forward, long knives flashing. She leaped over the bodies and into the smoke.

"No! No!" I tried to run towards her but Reyna held me back while holding my mouth. 

"Y/n we have to go." Said Hylla.

"I can't lose Kinzie too. I already lost Dorris."

"You know?"

"Dream, please let me go." They didn't argue with me further. But did. amongst themselves. 

'They'll all die!' Reyna yelled. 'There must be something –'

'Don't be stupid, sister!' Hylla's eyes were bright with tears. 'Orion outfoxed us. He's turned the ambush into a massacre. All we can do now is hold him back while you escape. You must get that statue to the Greeks and defeat Gaia!'

She led Reyna up a flight of stairs. Reyna was dragging me the whole time. They navigated a maze of corridors, then rounded a corner into a locker room. They found themselves face to face with a large grey wolf, but before the beast could even snarl Hylla punched it between the eyes. The wolf crumpled.

'Over here.' Hylla ran to the nearest row of lockers. 'Your weapons are inside. Hurry.'

Reyna grabbed her knife, her sword and her pack. She gave me my spear back. I grabbed my bag. Then she followed her sister up a circular metal stairwell. Still holding my hand. 

The top dead-ended at the ceiling. Hylla turned and gave her a stern look. 'I won't have time to explain this, all right? Stay strong. Stay close.'

We climbed into a room with Opaque skylights glowed on the twenty-foot ceilings. The stark white walls were devoid of decoration. The furniture was oak, steel and white leather – impersonal and masculine. Both sides of the room were overhung with terraces. 

'Hylla –'

'I told you, we don't have time.'

'But –'

'I own the building now. I put the deed in my name.'

'You did what?'

'I was tired of running from the past, Reyna. I decided to reclaim it.' I don't know what they're talking about but Reyna's grip on my hand tightened as if something will suddenly hurt us. 

'Sister,' Hylla said, 'we're wasting time. Are you coming or not? Come y/n' Hylla extended her hand. 

Reyna eyed the balconies. 'Have you seen them?'