Chapter 6: You Need A Woman

Mike, Tré and I sat around, talking about nothing. Then Tré had an announcement.

"I, Tré Cool, have met a woman." Mike and I cheered.

"Fucking finally." Mike said, and I laughed.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Anna." Tré said.

"When are we meeting her?" Mike asked.

"I don't know. She said she could come watch us practice tomorrow," Tré said, and Mike and I agreed. 

"Sounds fine," Mike said, and then he turned to me but said nothing.

"Yes, Mr Dirnt? Can I help you?" I said, and he raised his eyebrow.

"When are you going to find... one of those, what are they called... women?" Mike asked, and Tré laughed.

"I could find one if I wanted to." I said, and Mike scoffed.

"If you had a woman, you sure as hell wouldn't be around here sitting, drinking..." Mike read my can. "Diet cola." He said, and I sighed.

"I'm a jerk with women. What if I meet the perfect one and then I'm an ass?"

"We'll help you. Anna can help you tomorrow. I'm sure she won't mind," Tré said. Oh, boy.

*next day*

As Mike tuned his bass, I played a few notes, changing them slightly to see if it sounded even better. Tré was on his way with Anna.

"Does this sound tuned?" Mike asked me, and I listened.

"Yeah, that's it." I said, and he nodded. 

"Then we just have to wait for Tré to get here, and we're good." He replied. After about 5 minuets, Tré walked in; with a girl behind him. She was very pretty, and she had caramel brown hair and blue-y green eyes. I smiled at her.

"Hey. Anna, is it?" She nodded and smiled, then extended her hand.

"Billie Joe," I said, shaking her hand. "And this is Mike." I gestured in Mike's direction, and when I heard no reply, I turned to look at him. His eyes were fixed on Anna, and he wore a look I've never seen him have before. "Mike." I prompted, nudging him.

"Oh. Sorry. I'm Michael, but I get Mike." He shook her hand, and I noticed they held on for longer than usual. Tré was oblivious.

"Let's get this party started!" He said, jumping behind his drums. I glared at Mike until he had stopped staring at Anna, and we played a bit of Minority that I needed to go over.

I pledge allegiance to the underworld

One nation under dark

There of which I stand alone

A face in the crowd

Unsung, against the mold

Without a doubt

Singled out

The only way I know

'Cause I want to be the minority

I don't need your authority

Down with the moral majority

'Cause I want to be the minority

"That okay?" Mike asked, and I nodded.

"I've been thinking of this part, let me know what you think," I said, and started playing.

"One light, one mind

Flashing in the dark

Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts

"For crying out loud", she screamed unto me

A free for all

Fuck 'em all

You are your own sight" 

I played, and Mike and Tré said it was good. Suddenly Anna spoke.

"That was great, you guys! Mike, your bass playing is amazing!" She smiled, and I looked at Mike. He had turned bright red.

"Thanks," He mumbled.

Something tells me Mike might have a crush on Anna. 

Shit.