Chaper 12: Is That My Bass?

Mike opened his eyes and saw white. It smelled clean and he felt heavy. He stretched and tried to sit up, but couldn't. He heard the sound of a bass guitar being played.

Was he dead? Was this his heaven?

Billie Joe's face appeared. Clearly not Mike's heaven then. He looked at Billie, who looked guilty. He couldn't think of words to say. Billie placed an instrument next to Mike's bed.

"Is that my bass?" He asked, and Billie nodded, happy that Mike was talking. "Why is he here?" Billie smiled. Mike's instruments were never 'its', they were always a she or a he.

"I figured you might get bored." Billie said. Mike smiled.

"Probably, yeah. Why am I here?" He asked.

"You collapsed at practice. You hit your head off Blue on the way down, which is why you have stitches..." Billie tapped Mike's forehead lightly. "Here, here, and there." Mike's hand felt his head. Sure enough, stitches.

"Is Blue okay?"

"He's fine. He was worried about you," Billie joked, and Mike laughed.

"Why did I collapse?" He asked suddenly. Billie stiffened.

"You told me you weren't feeling good. You told me right after you stormed out after Tré kissed Anna. I thought you were faking and made you play, and you collapsed halfway through your awesome bass line of Longview." Billie explained, and Mike groaned.

"Oh god, Anna. I must have looked like such an idiot..." Mike muttered.

"It wasn't attractive, if that's what you mean. Your head was bleeding. You still have blood in your eye brow." Billie said.

"Thanks for pointing that out..." Mike went to clean it but Billie stopped him.

"Don't touch. Nurse said you can't. Speaking of not touching things, here comes Anna." Billie opened the door for Anna and left, leaving Mike alone with her. She stood at the side of the bed.

"How do you feel?" She asked, and Mike didn't reply, just closed his eyes. "I talked to Tré. He said you can talk to me." She added.

"Oh. Well, my head hurts a little and I'm a little shaky, I still feel a little sick. But I'm sure I'll survive." Mike said, nodding. Anna checked the hallway, which was empty.

"You scared me to death." She said, and she kissed him on the head.

"Sorry. I'll try not to collapse next time." He joked weakly, trying to ignore how close she was to him. She kissed him quickly on the lips and walked out, just as Billie walked in.

"Where have you been?" Mike asked quickly.

"Talking to the doctor. He said you have an infection." Billie said.

"Have?" Mike asked.

"Yup. Apparently this is only the beginning. There's sickness, dizziness, drowsiness, and a whole bunch more for you to look forward to." Billie said, and Mike groaned.

"Can't they just give me drugs?" He asked.

"Nope. This infection started this year, they haven't worked on a cure yet, so he says you have to ride it out alone." Billie said.

"Ugh."

"Don't worry, you can say with me. I'm helpful. And by the way, Mike?" Billie asked.

"Yeah?"

"I saw that kiss."