Chapter 38: This Doesn't Make Sense

It had been about a week.

We were all at practice, trying to come up with a new album, so songs were being thrown around, as well as I had been writing a few.

Mike was in the corner, looking down at his bass even though we weren't playing. He hasn't looked at me once, and you could feel the tension. Tré seemed confused, to say the least.

"What's going on?" He asked, and I looked at Mike, who acted like Tré hadn't even said anything.

"Uh okay. Guys I wrote a song but I'm not sure about it."

They looked up.

"Go ahead." Tré said, watching me and nodding at my guitar.

I nodded and started picking some of the strings, keeping my head down as I started singing a song I had named Time of Your Life.

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road

Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go

So make the best of this test, and don't ask why

It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right,

I hope you had the time of your life."

I didn't make eye contact with Mike. I had written this the night he kissed me, since the 'turning point' was the actual kiss. The song was about Mike, and me not knowing what was going on.

"So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind

Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time

Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial

For what it's worth it was worth all the while..

It's something unpredictable, but in the end that's right,

I hope you had the time of your life."

Mike and I did have a lot of memories. I taught him guitar, he taught me how to have fun. I taught him bass, he taught me how to live. I showed him all of the chords and he learnt how to play them.

He showed me how to love, and I learned how to love him.

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end that's right,

I hope you had the time of your life.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end that's right,

I hope you had the time of your life."

I put my guitar down and swallowed hard, eventually looking over at Mike. He had his arms folded, and head down.

He knew.

"Billie, I've never heard you write anything like that ever before.." Tré spoke up, and I met his eyes. "Well... I like it."

"It's not a good song for the album we're going for." I said, scratching the back of my neck.

"It's a punk rock album. Putting a soft song like that on our album could be the most punk thing we've ever done." Tré explained, and I nodded, walking over to the board and writing "Time of Your Life" onto the list of songs.

Mike spoke up. "I don't think it should be on there."

I looked over at him, as well as Tré.

"Why not?" Tré asked, furrowing his brows.

"It sucks. It's so girly and not us. I hate it." Mike said, keeping his head down.

I put my guitar down and looked at him, a sinking feeling in my chest appearing. "Y-You don't like it?" I mumbled, playing with my fingers.

Mike looked up at me and then dropped his head back to the floor again, obviously not telling the truth. "No. I hate it."

"You're an asshole. I didn't want to show you guys this song for a fucking reason. You could have just said before I put it on the fucking album!" I yelled, and he rolled his eyes at me.

"Then change it! It's a fucking whiteboard, you can erase it!"

I glared him. He only didn't like this song because he knows it's about him. He knows it's about the kiss, a kiss he obviously regrets.

"Y'know what? Fine. I'll fucking change it." I walked over to the whiteboard, rubbing out "Time of Your Life" and looking at the empty space on the board. I uncapped the pen and wrote "Good Riddance." Before throwing the pen at Mike and putting my jacket on.

"Huh? Which song is Good Riddance?" Tré asked.

I picked my guitar up, looking at Tré before glaring at Mike.

"It's the same song. It just needed a better fitting name."

Then I stormed out and slammed the door.