Chapter 32: What Happened?

Talking to Billie made me feel more like myself again. He made me laugh a few times and I was even eating without realising.

It was when he asked me if I wanted another coffee that things went wrong.

He made us both a coffee and set mine on my left side. As I reached for it he grabbed my arm and examined it.

I felt a coldness as I realised what he'd be thinking.

"Did you do this to yourself?"

I froze.

Did I?

I could remember breaking a glass and trying to pick it up, but not if I had wanted it to cut me.

"I can't remember." I said truthfully.

The look in his eyes showed me he thought I was lying.

"Mike." He warned, folding his arms. "I'll ask you again. Did you do this to yourself?"

"I don't know!" I mumbled, drinking my coffee quickly and then taking the plates to the sink.

"How do you not know?" Billie asked, leaning back in his chair as he watched me carefully.

I looked at the ceiling as I tried to think of the answer that would sound believe able.

I decided to go for the truth. He'd be able to tell anyway.

"I dropped a bottle when I was drunk and tried to pick it up. I think I dropped it and it cut my arm. Unless I did it on purpose because I was drunk and angry. I don't know."

As I was speaking, Billie had rested both elbows on the table and put his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry." I squeaked.

Billie got up and walked over to me, looking up at me for a while before wrapping both of his arms around me.

I relaxed in his arms and rested my head on his.

Billie have hugs that could change your whole mood in 2 seconds.

It was the words I heard him mumble that really made a difference.

"No matter what you do, no matter how stupid it is, I'll always be there for you. Just a call away. Always."

And that right there, is why Billie Joe Armstrong is my best friend.