Chapter 40: Mikey Puppy

When I woke up next, it was because I heard the door shut. I looked up to see Mike, head down and looking at his Chuck Taylor's with extreme concentration. But then, he spoke up.

"I just... wanted to say that I was sorry. For kissing you and then being a huge jerk about it. I dunno why I kissed you, okay? But I certainly don't want it to ruin our friendship because you mean a lot to me.. and stuff."

I smiled to myself at his obviously rehearsed apology. He had really thought about this.

"Mikey, c'mere." I said, patting a space on the bed. He came over and sat down, his eyes more focused on what seemed like my lips than anywhere else. Why was he looking there? "It's okay." I said, rubbing his arm. He smiled a little and shuffled closer to me, squeezing my hand in return.

He looked down at my lips again and I had a funny feeling about what he was going to do. He leant in and kissed me again, this time for longer and it was also softer.

I never knew Mike could be so gentle. I was used to play fighting with him, used to being tackled by him. But he was being so careful.

I stayed still and waited for him to do something else, and he did, moving closer to me. I lifted my hand up and rested it on the back of his head, pulling him closer once again.

Not that either of us would have noticed, but it was then that Adrienne left the room.