Chapter 43: Goodnight

*Billie Joe P.O.V*

Things had changed, after that. Adrienne gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, who we had named Joseph Marciano Armstrong. His first name was Ramones related, his middle name was my dad's middle name. When Joey was two, we discovered Adrienne was pregnant again. By the time Joey had turned three, Adrienne had given birth to another healthy boy, Jakob Danger Armstrong. And yes, the middle name was my idea.

From there, family life was pretty chilled out. Green Day was going strong, and we had no intentions of stopping making music.

All that soon changed. It was 2004, when Green Day had released American Idiot, the album I never thought I'd be able to make. It had gotten ridiculous amounts of fame, many of the singles from the record making it to number one in several countries.

Along with the fame came money, more money than we knew what to do with. Joey was eight and Jakob was 5. We'd bought a bigger house, better cars, anything in general to make family life more pleasant for the kids.

Seems nice huh, your dad bringing in more money than he knows what to do with. But all of that came with a huge price- tours were often, and necessary. Being the front man comes with a price too, I was exhausted. Tré was always too hyped up on whatever-the-fuck he had eaten or drank, Mike always seemed to be stuck in his thoughts constantly.

Tour is exhausting. I call home every night, just wanting to hear 'I miss you daddy' one more time, hoping it would soothe me to sleep, but to no avail.

Sleep was a rare occasion for me. It seemed like a mental breakdown was imminent. I pulled myself up in bed, another night of no sleep. Rubbing my eyes, I looked up as Mike walked in.

"You're not gonna believe this, but we have nothing to do today. That seems weird, right? I mean like.." I let Mike carry on talking, tuning my ears out from the sound of his voice, something I had trained myself to do many years ago. But it was back. "I feel so free. I have no jobs to do. Don't you just love it when you could lie around all day and-.. are you okay?" He suddenly asked, bringing me out of a daydream.

"Huh?" I replied, and he placed his coffee down, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You look like you're tired."

I had to psychically stop myself laughing. "Tired? Mike I'm fucking exhausted. I swear, I haven't slept in like a week."

Concern laced his features as he looked at me. "You want a pill?" He asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

I simply shook my head, leaning gratefully into his warmth. It felt nice, we never really ever had time for any of this friendship stuff now. He kicked his shoes off and lay back on the bed with me, stretching his long limbs out.

I shuffled closer with instinct, lying my head between his chest and his arm as he started to play with my hair absentmindedly, not knowing that this made me relax fully, something in my brain clicking out of stress mode. I felt myself dozing off, no matter how hard I tried to remain awake and enjoy some company for once.

I heard Mike begin to speak before he obviously noticed my brain state of nearly passed out. He chuckled, resting his head against mine and pulling the blankets up and around us. "Goodnight, then."

I shifted in his arms, finding my most comfiest position before mumbling, "Promise you'll be here when I wake up?"

I could feel the smile in his voice as he spoke in a soft voice. "Of course. Goodnight Beej."