Chapter 44

Backstage was when we all tried to calm ourselves down but at the same time, work ourselves up to go onstage.

Mike just ate candy and ran around, exercising and stuff, as he said it made him focused.

Tré used his drumsticks to build up a steady beat on the wall, the floor, the anything.

This worked to my advantage, as to warm up I jumped rope, so I would try and jump to Tré's steady beat and keep up the pace.

He always watched me, smirking as he sped up, laughing as I sped up too out of instinct. He kept going faster so I did the same, feeling the familiar burning in my chest as my body told me it was too much.

"Tré, you'll kill him." Mike laughed, walking over and sitting next to Tré. Mike always thought I was so weak. So I kept going, determined to beat myself. Tré laughed and added another beat in, meaning I really had to pick up the pace. I dropped the ropes and fell forward, landing on Mike as I panted.

He chucked and got me a bottle of water and I glugged it down. "Too much for you?" Mike asked, smirking.

I was too tired to argue and simply settled down on him, picking at my bottle of water.

"Five minutes, guys." The stage hand told us, and Tré went to the mirror and put some eyeliner on.

"Beej, c'mere."

I hopped over and he held my face gently, drawing my eyes on. "Look up." He said, before lining under my eyes. "There darling, beautiful." I snorted and went back over to Mike, tilting my head at him.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

He smiled and shrugged. "Eyeliner makes your eyes look really green, it's kinda scary."

I flipped him off, picked up Floyd and ran onstage, knowing they'd be right behind me.