Chapter 36: Zero

When woke up, Mike and Tré had already left. I went downstairs to see Billie asleep on the couch, Beavis and Butthead blaring on the TV screen. I switched it off and tucked him in, sliding my hand in his pocket and getting his car keys before heading out to the car.

I made my way to the pet store, walking in and straight over to the kittens. I looked at them all, and as I went to pet one it squeaked and fell over. This was the one. I got a box for it and took the kitten home, taking it to the kitchen and setting the box on the floor.

Walking into the living room, I shook Billie awake.

"Huhwhat?" He mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"There's a surprise in the kitchen for you." He looked suspicious.

"What is it?"

"Go look." I replied, following him as he went to the kitchen, standing behind him as he looked in the box.

"An empty box?" He asked, sporting a look of confusion.

"..No.." I replied, looking in the box. "Oh my god it escaped!"

He looked panicked. "It?"

"I got a kitten but it's gone!"

"Oh shit. We'll look for it, okay?" I nodded, and a second later the kitten pounced and attacked Billie's foot. "Never mind."

He picked it up and cuddled it as it meowed loudly.

"Little guy sure has a lot to say." Billie mumbled, petting the kitten on the head and setting it on the floor.

"It's an experiment. I need to see what you'll be like as a dad. So we'll see if the kitten is alive at the end of the week. If he is, I'll feel a lot better about leaving the baby alone with you and the guys. What should we call him?" I asked, watching Billie.

"Zero, because that's his level of brain cells." Billie said, watching as Zero attacked the box. I laughed and nodded.

"Zero it is."