Chapter 30: Yes or No?

Everyone stayed quiet as they waited for Anna's reply. She started at Mike who was on the floor, still on his knee and holding out a ring, just for her. She looked at the ring and it was beautiful, but she looked more at Mike and made her decision.

"Mike I... I can't do this. I'm sorry." She jumped up and ran out.

Everyone waited in silence, waiting for her to come back, waiting for her to throw her arms around Mike and say yes, yes of course she would marry him, because they were perfect.

Anna and Mike were perfect.

Were.

She didn't come back. No one knew what to say to Mike, except Billie. Billie always knew what to say to Mike. He watched as the man he'd knew since he was 11 fell apart all over again. He watched as Mike went from one knee to no knees, sitting with his head in his hands.

"Mike man, I'm sure it was just too much for her." Billie said, moving from the couch to the floor, sitting next to him.

"She said 'I can't do this'. That's not a temporary no, that's a firm no." Mike said, looking over at Billie.

Billie sighed and tried to convince him further. "You don't know that. Maybe she just-"

"Fuck!!" Mike interrupted him, throwing the ring off the wall and resuming his head in hands position. Billie bit his lip and looked over at Adie before hooking an arm around Mike, holding him close. Mike leant on Billie and Tré sat on the other side of him, patting his leg reassuringly.

"I'm gonna go talk to her." Adie said before leaving.

"There's plenty more where she came from." Tré said, rubbing Mike's back.

"No, there's not. She was the one. I know that." Mike sighed.

After a few minuets, Billie heard Adie come back. He went to the front hallway and smiled a little when he saw her.

"Did you catch her?" He asked. She shook her head and moved over to him, wrapping her arms around him. He kissed her head and hugged her back just as Mike walked out into the hallway with Tré.

"Mike's staying with me tonight." Tré said before gently pushing Mike out of the door.

"Let's go to bed." Adie sighed and tugged Billie up the stairs. She went to brush her teeth while Billie changed and then they swapped.

'Should I bother showering?' Billie wondered to himself as he walked into the bathroom. 'Nah.' He decided before turning to the sink and starting to brush his teeth. He stopped when something to the right caught his eye.

After a quick scan of the unknown object, he identified it as a pregnancy test.

Wait what?

He picked it up and held it to the light, squinting to see better.

2 lines.

What the fuck did two lines mean? Billie ran out of the bathroom with the test, his toothbrush still in his mouth. When he reached Adie he attempted to speak.

"Whur dures two lunes muean?" He mumbled.

"..What?" Adie asked. Billie waved the test for her to see. "Oh that. Sorry. I took it just in case. Stop freaking, it's negative."

"Oh." Billie said, taking the toothbrush out of his mouth. "You're sad that it's negative?" He asked carefully.

"Well, I'm not saying I'd be sad to see two lines. You'd be a good dad." Adie smiled.

"Wait, two lines?" Billie said, his face a mess of confusion.

"Yeah. One line is negative, two lines are positive." Adie said.

"Two lines are positive?" Billie asked again, to double check.

"Yes Billie dear, two." Adie laughed.

"You mean like this?" Billie asked, handing her the test.

"Yeah, exactly like-" Adie froze and slapped a hand over her mouth.

"That?" Billie said, finishing her sentence. "...You're pregnant?" Billie asked.

"It sure looks that way." Adie said. They both froze, watching each others reactions carefully. "How... how do you feel about that?" Adie asked him.

"I... I don't think I've ever been so scared, but I don't think I've ever been happier either." Billie said.

"You took the words right out of my mouth." Adie smiled.