☁︎ 𝐣𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 - 𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 ☁︎

James tailed her down the corridors, guilt contorting his face into a frown — he was such a fool, he thought

James tailed her down the corridors, guilt contorting his face into a frown — he was such a fool, he thought. He'd made a joke that hit below the belt; in front of the whole common room he'd claimed her apparent need for attention was form from her family's lack of providence.

His hands, warm and firm, circled her waist; pulling her back, his warm, coffee breath fanned over her skin. "I'm sorry. It was a joke, I swear- but I know I've been a prat all day." His chin hooked atop her head.

"A prat is a bit of an understatement, don't you think?" She seriously questioned as her hands went over his in a gentle welcome. Of course, leave it up to her for her body and her words to react differently.

"I'd say more of a twit, but that's beside the point." He murmured with a light chuckle, tilting his head back so he could see her better. "Can this twit be forgiven?" James asked, his hands shifting to grip her hips instead, to pull her closer for a second when her body reacted in the same manner.

"Hm.." She hummed as she pretended to think in order to tease him. "I'm not so sure, his words were quite cruel." Her eyebrows raised in amusement as she spoke. She could never stay upset with him for long, they both knew that she caved the moment he grabbed her.

"You do know that my intentions were never to actually be cruel." He countered, a light teasing tone to his voice. "I simply lack a filter when my mouth speaks." His hands loosened a little, leaving them just resting on her hips.

The way her gaze looked at him though... That did something to him. James swallowed, his chest tightening when her body pressed itself to him so closely.

"Another understatement. Have you just figured that one out?"

He rolled his eyes, a small teasing, amused grin flashing on his lips at her words. "Oh, I've been aware for as long as I can remember." His head cocked to the side, eyes locking onto hers.

"So, then? Have I been forgiven?" If she continued to play this gave for much longer, he was just going to kiss her. There and then, in the middle of the corridor.

"I'll get back to you on that tonight." She shrugged her shoulders. "It's not at the top of my to-do list unfortunately for you."

His eyes narrowed, and that teasing grin widened. "Oh, tonight? Mmh, right. That's a long time to wait, you know."

James chuckled, his hands tightening around her hips, fingers sliding underneath her shirt lightly. She was playing him, and he knew it. She also knew that he knew, yet still... "What if another pretty girl steals my attention?" He teased, his hand gliding over her stomach.

"That's the thing.." She started before she flipped herself around in his arms to look at him, her hands placing themselves on his chest as a smirk crossed her lips. "You're too obsessed with me to even look at another girl. I got you wrapped around my little finger."

When she flipped herself around, allowing her to face him and her hands settle onto his chest, he had to stop himself from twitching in response. He was too obsessed — it was a fact, he knew.

"Oh, yeah?" The hand on her hip lowered, his eyes flickering to her lips before returning up to meet her gaze. His eyes were bright, almost too bright. "I don't remember putting a ring on your finger." He teased, leaning forward to place the softest kiss on her nose — before placing another below her ear.

She let out a small giggle. "Yet."

"Yet?" He echoed, eyes flickering from her eyes down to her lips and back again. When he spoke next, the words were a bare whisper; his lips hovering only an inch from her own. "Does that mean I have the chance to put a ring on your finger?"

"I'm just waiting for the day you muster up the courage." She admitted simply, a shrug of her shoulders following her words.

His hands gripped her waist, James pulling her flush against his body as his fingers ghosted over her back. "Muster up the courage.." He repeated slowly. "Do you know just how close I've come, multiple times, to proposing to you?" He admitted, his lips pressed against her neck as he spoke further. "I'm not lacking the courage, I'm lacking the right moment."

Her face changed from teasing to a subtle look of shock in a blink of an eye. In honesty, she couldn't even find any words to reply with, but instead a smile took over her face at the thought of James getting down on one knee.

James noticed the look of shock on her face, and he smiled. She had no idea that he'd bought a ring months ago, only awaiting for the right time to propose. Was it wrong to feel a sense of reassurance from realizing that?

"How about this?" He began, his fingers gliding along the hem of her shirt. "You meet me in the room of requirement tonight — and I'll give you the right moment."

Butterflies erupted in her stomach at that very moment, letting his words sink in. "I'll be there." A smile beamed on her face before she kissed his cheek softly.

He smirked, planting another gentle kiss on the corner of her mouth this time. "Excellent." After that, he glanced over at the nearest clock. "Until then."

The smile never left her lips as she pushed his chest jokingly, yet gentle. "Now, get going so you don't find yourself in trouble again."

"Just a quick kiss, before I get going?" He offered with a wink, a bit of cheekiness in his words.

"Fine." She giggled before pressing a quick to his lips. "Don't be late."

"Don't nag." He responded before he went on his way.