Chapter 55

Rose's POV

           "Look, you seem like an alright guy and I appreciate you helping us but I'm just going to be straight up with you Elrin," I say while looking him dead in the eye. "Just because you've helped us out doesn't mean I'm automatically going to trust you. What we're doing is too important to risk telling people."

                           "Rose!"

              "What? Am I wrong? You obviously haven't told him either Cici, or he wouldn't have asked."

                          "Yeah, but..."

      Before she could say anything else I shot her a look that was just daring her to continue. I really do appreciate the fact that Elrin helped us, even though we were complete strangers, but the fact of the matter is that there is just too much at stake to take chances. I finally have a way to get my mom back and I'll be damned if I let something as simple as trusting the wrong person ruin it.

              "I understand," Elrin said with a look of resignation. "I mean, obviously I don't quite get it, but it's obvious how much whatever it is you're doing means to you. I won't pry."

                     "Thank you, I truly app-" Before I could finish I was suddenly cut off by a loud roar in my head.

                                  "YOU NEED TO LEAVE CHILD, QUICKLY!"

             'What the hell?'

                                   "NO TIME FOR QUESTIONS, THEY'VE FOUND YOU!"

       Just as I was about to ask who the hell "they" were, I suddenly felt a huge shift in the world around me. It felt like all the natural mana in the air was disappearing. No not disappearing, rather being pulled somewhere. Using my newly heightened senses to try and figure out just where in the hell it was going I noticed it all being drawn up and gathered somewhere way up above us. Then it dawned on me.

                "Shit!!" I yelled as I reached forward and grabbed Lily's hand and dove towards Elrin, instantly using short ranged teleportation to take us a dozen meters away from the cottage. For once I was thankful that Cici was already leaning on me at the time so I didn't have to try and grab three people at once.

        Before anyone could register what just happened I yelled at Lily to throw up a barrier at the same time I put one up of my own. We barely had time to put them up before suddenly a massive column of fire shot down from the sky and obliterated the cottage, sending flame and debris flying everywhere. Thankfully we got out when we did because after the smoke cleared all that could be seen was a smoking crater where the cottage once stood.

          We all just kinda stared at it in silence, not entirely sure what the fuck just happened. Until suddenly the sound of loud clapping caught our attention. Looking up it became obvious who the culprit was. Floating in midair high above the treeline was a beast of a man.

        He was clearly over six foot tall and was stacked like a pro body builder, having almost too much muscle. He had wild shoulder length blondish-brown hair flying around him and bright red eyes that seemed to literally be on fire. He wore nothing but a pair of ripped up jeans and some kind of necklace that looked to be made of huge animal fangs. Even from here I could feel his massive aura, it had a certain godly feel to it.

                  "Wonderful! Just wonderful! You actually dodged that one." He said with a shit eating grin as he continued to clap. "Maybe this will be fun after all. Allow me to introduce myself before you die, I am Lionel, the god of war..."