CH 9: Respectless

~ Esme's POV ~

I wake up from that dream to find my pillow stained with tears and my makeup smudged. Sometimes I wish I could just reset my memories all over again and forget the bits and pieces coming back. These past decades were torture, slowly pulling me apart from the inside. I climb out of my bed and sigh as I turn to the window once again. It's early enough that I could go for a swim and still make it back in time.

So, I leave. I tuck my hands into my coat and walk away from the tower to head to the water. It's the only place I knew could clear my mind, and I haven't swum in a really long time. I can feel the sand underneath me as I rapidly approach it. I toss my coat on the sand and dive in. It's been a while since I've been underwater. I could see my skin grow colder as I opened my eyes, seeing underneath the surface with a green hue to my vision.

I see other sea demons as I swim, but this time I don't avoid them. They all know who I am at this point, they wouldn't dare swim near me. I just smile and wave.

Finally, I decide to reach the surface, my hair flinging backward as I sigh and swim on top of the water on my back. I sigh as I watch the red sky grow brighter, being illuminated by a light in the distance. I turn my head and notice the light coming from the radio tower, where I see two glowing red eyes staring at me.

I jump and sink back into the water, peering my head out.

Why is he watching me? Has he been doing this the entire time?

I wave, and the light turns off.

Rude.

I roll my eyes and swim back underneath the surface, my tail slamming in the air with a splash of annoyance.

Can everyone just let me be in peace? Thanks!

I stay there for the majority of the morning, feasting on whatever little fishes I can find. A nice, easy snack for a light breakfast.

Suddenly,

"ESME!!" A voice shouts in annoyance. I groan, knowing immediately who it is from the accent. I swim back to the surface and pop my head out.

"Hey Vel, fancy seeing you here~" I smile innocently.

"Oh shut the fuck up bitch, we're going to be late! Stop swimming and start walking!" She shouts, yanking my coat from the sand. I roll my eyes and swim back down, grabbing one last fish for the road.

I emerge from the water and walk towards her, wringing my hair out. With a snap, it returns to its voluminous wave. "What?" I sigh, putting on my coat and sinking my fangs into the little fish as we walk along.

~ Time skippy ~

"So, what's the plan? We're just going to present them this thing and hope for the best?" I question, looking up at the face ID and unlocking the elevator.