CH 23: Enchanting

~ Esme's POV ~

I couldn't sleep that night, my thoughts from being pushed up against the wall tormenting my mind. Believe me when I say, he was beautiful. Hmm, maybe beautiful was the wrong word. He was wickedly delicious. For nearly a century I had been alongside him in small moments, but I had a deep secret that would never meet his ears.

He was enchanting.

Even for me, and I usually do the enchanting.

There was something about him that had always piqued my interest. I could never describe it, but it always felt like I was inches away from discovering something. If I just peeled back his layers, perhaps I could see it for a moment. I wouldn't dare though, as much as I held power, he deeply frightened me. His presence, he was so confident within himself, and no one had ever seen such godly power emit from a mortal soul before. I knew that he could destroy me with one snap of his fingers.

But, would that be tempting?

Being in the same space as him, felt safe...oddly enough. As much as he frightened me, there was one key point that always stood out. He never threatened me. He never came for me, never turned one radio dial, never raised his voice, never ever challenged me. Everyone else was always on the table. Although he was kind to Rosie, even she could push his temper, causing the occasional flick of dials in his eyes. He was always respectable towards her, so he usually calmed down immediately, but with me...

I never saw those eyes.

Why? Why was I different? Could he have a soft spot?

No, that's wrong. If Vox finds out about this, he will be targeted for sure. Worse, I could be used as prey. There was no way that I was going to let that happen, but every time I was around him, the static on my neck reminded me that I had to keep a close eye on him at all times. Vox never said I had to hurt him, but he would surely hurt me if I dared let Alastor slip up. He would drag me back to that tower and torment me from within my own mind.

So my eyes were always on him, and it's not like I minded much. Especially this morning, when he offered to treat me to some breakfast. I sit in the kitchen, watching his every move. I didn't know he liked to cook, how charming.

God, he looks good in that shirt, in those pants....

"Is coffee okay for you, dear?" He asks with his back turned.

"Works for me!" I chirp.

In that shirt...in those pants, I wanna rip them off...with my teeth.

God, the thought of his body against mine was enough to have me laid out across this table right now.

As a matter of fact, forget the breakfast, I'm the meal just eat me instead.

Sometimes I hated my siren nature. I deeply tried to suppress her over the decades, but there were some instances where she begged to come out and play. His scent, his sickeningly tempting scent, was one of them. I could practically feel every drop of that metallic sustenance within him pulsate through his body. I wanted to sink my fangs so deep into that venison that I honestly feared for his safety for a moment. I would run if I were him. In these moments, my head was not talking. To be fair, I didn't know if it was my heart either, but it was certainly my soul. Something deep within my soul wanted this man more than any demon I had feasted on before.