CH 32: Burning Cities

Hours had passed now, and Esme remained in the lobby of the hotel trying to console Angel. He was still very upset at the thought that Esme had traded her soul for his, realizing that all this time she willingly put herself in danger because of him.

"Angel, it was never going to ha-"

"You were fuckin' stupid, you know that!?" He screams, tears in his eyes. He grabs her by the shoulders and shakes her out of frustration. "You put yourself in fuckin' danger for something that didn't matter!"

Esme's eyes widened, "YOU MATTER!" She shouts, tears streaming down her face. Angel shakes his head and looks away.

Esme grabs his face and forces him to look at her, "You will always matter, amore." She shakes him lightly, "Don't ever doubt that."

"You should've never put your soul on the line for me."

"In a thousand lifetimes and afterlives, I will always be there for you." He falls into her arms, sucking up his tears. "Now...." She says in a soft, nurturing, voice. "It's getting late, you should get some rest."

Time passes by and Esme remains in the parlor next to the fire. She turns her head to see Alastor sitting at the bar, tapping his boot against the wood in frustration. She hesitates, but gets up and walks over to him, "May I have a word?"

He glares at her and turns his face. Esme sighs, "I'm not sure what I did to upset you so much, but please know it wasn't intentional." He scoffs in response and Esme narrows her eyes, "Are you going to be bitter for the rest of the evening, or are you going to be an adult and speak to me?"

He rolls his eyes and takes a sip of his whiskey, putting the glass down on the counter and tapping his finger on it lightly. He was holding back, a great deal, and couldn't show her how upset she truly made him. "I just want to know why you're so mad at me." Esme sighs in desperation.

"I'm not mad at you."

"But y-"

"I'm disappointed." He turns to face her, locking eyes with her, and turning the rest of his body to follow suit.

"D-Disappoin-"

"You sold your soul, to Vox of all people, and did it all to help your little friend? How foolish." He huffs, taking another swing at his glass, and reaching for the bottle to pour himself more. Esme's eyes follow his hand as he does so, eventually glancing back at his face.

"Have you never loved someone so much that you would lay your life down for them?"

He's silent.

"I pity you if you haven't." She mumbles, "Love is the one thing that life had to offer any of us..."

"It makes you weak." He groans.

"No, it doesn't." She responds quickly, with a shake of her head, "You never felt the intensity of being willing to burn cities for the one you love?" She cocks her head to the side.