CH 41: Bourbon

~ Alastor's POV ~

It is not possible that I could have done that to her. I remember that night vividly. She fell, she fell back and hit her head. I was there, I held her in my arms. She bled on me, I held her together!

There was no way I was responsible for this. I would have never.

The memories of her plague my mind as I continue to pace my sanctuary. I can hear her sweet voice tormenting my mind, "Alastor, please calm down." The possibility of her fleeing from me to New York pulled me from my mind so fast that I began to dissociate. It didn't feel like a reality in that moment, more like a dream.

A nightmare, really.

I had no true intentions of killing her, I swear to it. I just wanted her to sit down and listen to me, to hear that I loved her beyond words could possibly describe. I never wanted to break her heart, I wanted to keep it safe and protected within my hands. That woman meant nothing to me. When she laid her lips on mine, my entire body froze. I don't know why, I couldn't process it.

I didn't enjoy it, but I froze. I couldn't form words, I couldn't move. I was weak, I know. There was something about the attention that called to me, but my mind and body argued senselessly with one another.

To be honest, I was a little frightened.

If she would have listened to me, I would have offered anything to convince her to stay. I'll move wherever you want to, I'll leave everything behind. Just, please stay with me. A pathetic train of thought, honestly, something that shook me to my core.

Her pleas were circling my brain in a horrific loop.

"P-Please Al-Alastor...please calm down..."

My hands find my hair and I begin to rip out red strands into my palms. I wince and pull them away, my claws sinking into my palms.

"Alastor, please!"

I'm not listening to this all fucking night. My mind had been consumed with haunting images of her for nearly one hundred years. I refuse to go any further with these rebarbative, tiresome, words in my head. I dust my hands off, not bothering to clean the strands of hair off the floor before I exit my office and head to the lobby.

A nice bourbon. A glass or two.....maybe the whole bottle.

~ Back with Esme ~

"What is this again?" Esme asks Angel, feeling a little more lighter than she originally did arriving there.

"Soju, Dollface. It's rice wine." He laughs.

"Wine made of rice? Wow, they come up with everything now~" Esme laughs, finishing the rest of her glass. "Well, I think that's it for tonight."