CH 13: Hopelessly Devoted

The conflicting emotions of that night continued to plague her for hours. Esme couldn't sleep at all, waking up several times hearing numerous different voices in her head.

"Trying to woo me, aren't you?"  

"Is it working?"

Not these again...

"I am yours, if you will have me..."

Just let me fucking sleep...

"I'm so wildly in love with you..."

Fuck.

Finally, she sits up in her bed and sighs as she stands up, walking to the door. If she's not going to sleep, she might as well have a drink. She opens her door and walks out into the quite hallway. She keeps her hands in her shorts, feeling the cold air against her exposed skin from her tank top. As she's descending the stairs, she pulls her hair into a high ponytail, tightening it at the top.

Esme walks down the parlor and slips behind the bar counter, reaching out and pulling out several mixing glasses and liquor. She uses her fangs to pull out the cork of the vodka bottle, pouring it into the mixer with some cranberry syrup, and shaking it gently. She takes the glass and outlines the rim with sugar, pouring the liquid inside. She sighs and tosses the used glasses into the sink and leans against the counter, sipping at her drink.

"And exactly what the fuck are you doing?" A low voice comes from the side of the counter.

Esme turns around to see Husk looking at her with an annoyed look, "Making a drink, nothing that concerns you." she narrows her eyes as she sips her martini.

"Don't tell me you're on this shit again.." He groans as he approaches her, "Can't sleep?"

Esme sighs and goes to sit on a barstool, "What do you know? I haven't seen you in fuckin' years..."

"And apparently nothing's changed..." Husk scoffs. Esme looks away in annoyance. "Still that hopeless little girl waiting.."

"I'm not hopeless.." She hisses, glaring at him, "He'll come eventually.."

"Esme, be realistic, it's been how many years?"

Esme starts chugging her martini, finishing it rapidly and tossing the glass to him in frustration, "You, are hopeless. Me, my friend, am different. I'm not the one who gambled away all their power." She smirks, leaning forward, "So, do yourself a favor and stop fuckin' pushin me." She growls, her New York accent pushing through in her anger. Her eyes glow faintly.

"You know," He wipes the glass, "projecting your feelings on to someone else doesn't make you any stronger..."

She turns away, he did have a point. She speaks in a low voice, "I can't stop...." Husk raises a brow, "I can't start to think he's abandoned me, I - I just can't. I don't know why."