CH 36: Mother

~ Louisiana, 1931 ~

Esme smiles as she brings Geneviève to the bedroom, laying down in bed with her and pulling the covers over them both. She kisses her head, "Did you have fun with Daddy today?"

Geneviève smiles widely and nods, burrowing her body into Esme, and snuggling up close. The little angel enjoyed the sensation of being in her mother's arms, feeling safe and warm. "Mhm, Dada had chocolate milk!" She sits up and smiles proudly.

"Oh my goodness, that's such an exciting day! Wow!" Esme smiles and looks towards Alastor who is leaning in the doorway, "Would you care to join us?" She motions to the extra spot on the bed.

"Of course, I shall, mon amour." He chuckles as he climbs into bed with the two of them, wrapping an arm around Esme and watching their little girl bouncing happily on the mattress.

"Oh my, Daddy is so warm. Come, let's snuggle up." Esme motions Geneviève to get close and the two of them nuzzle into his side.

He wraps his arms around both of them, practically shielding them with his warmth. This was something he would never have imagined for his life, but he was willing to lay down his life for both of them at any moment. "I am a rather warm person." He scoffs, "I make the ideal blanket."

There's a pause before...

"Oooh, Genny I have a very important question," Esme says with a mischievous tone of voice.

She looked up at her mother with big, wide eyes, curiosity drawn all over her face as she listened intently, "Yes, mama?"

"Who is the best at giving cuddles, mommy or daddy?"

Alastor huffs and rolls his eyes playfully, "Oh come now..."

She looks extremely conflicted by this question and looks around the room with her sweet innocent eyes deep in thought. "Both!" She says quickly with a cheerful smile.

"Ahh, smart kid." Esme laughs.

Geneviève smiles at her mother, turning to Alastor as he speaks, "Quite the smart kid indeed." He ruffles her hair gently.

"I'm shocked, usually she picks Daddy for everything. I'm honored~"

"Of course she picks me." Alastor smirks, as Geneviève crawls on top of him and lays her head on his chest. "I am the favorite after all~" He turns his attention to his daughter and runs his hand through her hair affectionately.

Esme doesn't answer him, just lays there and stares at him with a loving expression across her face.

He can feel his wife's eyes looking at him and he turns to see her letting out a soft, slightly dreamy, sigh. "Something wrong, sweetheart?"

"Not at all..." Esme says, admiring him. She wanted to take in every moment with their family, and remember every detail so she could burn it into her memory forever.

"Then why are you staring at me with such a loving expression? Don't tell me you're just admiring me..." He scoffs in amusement.

"Hmm, Genny?" Esme asks, causing their daughter to peak up from her father's shirt, "Isn't Dada handsome?" She asks.

Geneviève smiles and sits up on her fathers chest, squishing his face with her hands, "Mhmm" She has an enthusiastic smile across her face, "Dada is super handsome!" She cheers, freeing his face from her grasp.

"Ahh seeee SUPER handsome, nonetheless." Esme grins as she connects with his eyes once more. "What a lucky woman I am..." She whispers as she leans in close to peck at him, until she feels Geneviève push her away.