CH 49: Purpose

"I can't guarantee that I'll be willing to be here when you're ready..."

Esme returns to her room with a deep sense of guilt from allowing those words to come from her mouth, but she knows there is truth within them. She had waited so many years to find her love, and now he was being insanely difficult. Did he actually expect her to continue to swoon over him and wait diligently until he was good and ready to be open and honest with her? She knew that Alastor had always prioritized his ego, but damn, his pride must have been amplified the moment he entered this ring.

Esme didn't know what to expect from him, but she did know one thing - she needed to get to the water. She needed to release her mind and disconnect for a moment, and she always went to the water to just that. She unwraps her towel and gets changed into her green dress, making sure to put on her coat in an attempt to hide the stamp of ownership on her collarbone. She wraps her hair in a ponytail and begins to walk out her door. She sees Angel about to walk down the stairs and he turns to her,

"Hey Es, where you off to?"

"The shore, why? Do you want to come?"

He appears troubled, as if something is on his mind. He takes a moment before answering, "Yeah, why not? I could use the walk."

Esme doesn't question this, but instead holds her hand out and joins it with his. The two make their way out of the hotel and down to the shore.

As they're walking, Esme notices that Angel doesn't appear to be his usual talkative self. He has changed drastically from that night in his bedroom where the two stayed up for hours yapping about senseless nonsense. She turns to him, "What's eatin' you?"

"Huh? Me? Nuthin'..." He responds with a huff, looking away.

Great, another person who's lying to me...

As they approach the water, Esme takes off her coat and dives into her sanctuary. She sighs contently as she swims down, feeling her body slowly transforming into her siren self.

𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓭𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝓷𝓮𝓮𝓭 𝓱𝓲𝓶, 𝓶𝔂 𝓼𝔀𝓮𝓮𝓽... It whispers, 𝓦𝓮 𝓬𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓭𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓸 𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓻𝓸𝓵, 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓴 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓫𝓲𝓵𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼.

What if I don't want that? She thinks.

𝓦𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓮 𝓬𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓫𝓵𝔂 𝓭𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮? It echoes.

There's a beat.

Esme pauses, being reminded of the peaceful feeling she had in that angelic hotel room with her little dove on her chest. The feeling of finally being able to see her smile, her bright eyes, and her chaotic but loving nature.

𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽'𝓼 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓫𝓵𝓮. The voice snaps. 𝓐𝓷𝓭 𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝓲𝓯 𝓲𝓽 𝔀𝓪𝓼, 𝓨𝓞𝓤?! 𝓐 𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮𝓷? 𝓐 𝓭𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓬 𝓼𝓾𝓬𝓬𝓾𝓫𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓪𝓼 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵f?

But what if it is.... Esme ponders.

Could she? Would it be possible? Why were the seraphims so intrigued by her, and why did Lucifer seem to take an immediate liking to her?

"ESME!" Angel shouts from above the water, causing her fins to twitch slightly on her head. She swims up and pops her head out with confusion spread on her face. "Phew, I know you like to explore, but don't fuckin' scare me like that I've had a-" He freezes as his eyes land on her collarbone, the bruise now exposed to his vision. "What is that?" He asks, his voice dark.