CH 38: Abigail

The doors to the office swing open and Esme looks wildly around for Geneviève. The two lock eyes and Geneviève runs to her mother, only to be picked up and held close.

"Questa mia favorita bambina, oh I love you so much!" Esme kisses all over her daughter's face, causing her to burst into laughter. She gets down on her knees to put her down, "Is everything okay? Have you been having fun? What have you been doing? Do you have friends? W-"

"Esme..." The older woman laughs, "I assure you, she's been just fine." She smiles sweetly at the display of affection Esme had for her daughter. She wanted to make sure she made up for all the time she had lost with her.

Meanwhile, Charlie and Vaggie had headed upstairs to settle in. It was just Emily, Esme, Margo, Geneviève, and this woman.

Esme stands up, dusting herself off, "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know you. I know you say I should recall you, but I'm certain we haven't met." She smiles at her and extends a hand, "Esme Hartfelt, ma'am, a pleasure to meet you."

"Oh please, Cher, we're past pleasantries." The woman waves her hand, dismissing her offer. "I'm Abigail...Hartfelt, sweetie.."

Esme's eyes widen and her breath gets lost in her throat, "Oh...oh my...forgive me." She bows her head in respect, only to be nudged by Abigail in a friendly manner.

"Oh, now stop that! No need to be so formal with me, dear." Abigail smiles proudly at her, "What a fine mother you are, why as soon as little Geneviève came to join us she was well mannered as a fairy."

Esme smiles and looks down at Geneviève, "She better have been..." She raises an eyebrow, knowing her daughter too well to be labeled as 'well mannered.'

Geneviève smiles innocently.

"Well, despite the occasional rallying of the other children for mischief." Margo huffs, crossing her arms and looking down at her niece.

Yeah, that sounds about right...

She smiles and picks up her daughter, cradling her close in her arms, "Oh, I've missed you my dove." She kisses the top of her head, "I wish I could stay longer." She glances at Emily who gives her a sad smile, "But, mommy is only visiting."

Geneviève turns her face to her mother, placing her little hands on The Siren's cheeks, "Why?" She pouts.

"Well...." Esme struggles to find an excuse to explain to the little girl, "Mommy has to go back to Daddy, and there are no children allowed. Top secret, parents only!" She scrunches her nose playfully.

"Daddy comes back, right?" Geneviève questions, looking excited. Looking too excited. Almost as if she's been expecting this.

"What did you say?" Esme questions, her expression hardening at her words.

He's been here before?

AND HE HASN'T TAKEN ME?!??!?!?!

Abigail puts a hand on her arm, "Hunny, why don't you settle in, and then we can all head out together."

Esme smiles, hiding her frustration in respect for her, " Of course." She passes her Geneviève. "I'll be right back, Genny." She smiles but drops it as soon as her back is turned to Abigail.

I'm going to kill your son. I'm going to relish in his screams, suck his corpse dry, and hang that elk's head on my wall as a fucking prize.

When she gets to the hotel room, she finds Charlie rambling about rainbow sprinkles. She stops and glances at Esme, worriedly, "D-Did it work...are you okay?"