28~ Deception and Escape

Authors pov

Hoseok lay still in the ICU bed, the room dimly lit with only the beeping of machines to fill the silence. His heart pounded in his chest, the reality of what was happening still not fully sinking in. The door creaked open, and the doctor stepped in, immediately dismissing the other doctors and nurses with a wave of his hand. They left without question, closing the door behind them.

“Wake up, Hoseok,” the doctor whispered urgently, shaking Hoseok gently. Hoseok’s eyes fluttered open, still dazed from the whirlwind of events.

The doctor reached down beside the bed and handed him a small luggage bag. “I picked up some clothes from a boutique. I apologize if they don’t all fit, but I was in a hurry,” he said, a slight tremor in his voice.

Hoseok shook his head, managing a weak smile. “This is more than enough. Thank you.”

“Quickly now, remove your robe,” the doctor instructed, turning his back to give Hoseok some privacy.

Hoseok nodded and slowly stood up from the bed. He opened the luggage and pulled out a pair of jeans. As he slid them on, he glanced at himself in the mirror on the opposite wall. His reflection stared back at him, a ghost of the person he once was. Bruises marred his skin, and deep scars ran across his back, the result of countless lashings. The sight was too much to bear, and Hoseok broke down into tears, his body shaking with sobs.

Hearing the sudden outburst, the doctor spun around in panic. “Hoseok, what’s wrong?” he asked, rushing to his side. His breath caught in his throat when he saw the scars on Hoseok’s back. Long, angry welts crisscrossed his skin, a stark reminder of the torture he had endured.

“Hoseok, you will recover,” the doctor assured him softly, though his own voice wavered. “You will heal. But we must hurry now.”

Hoseok nodded, wiping away his tears. He quickly pulled on the long-sleeved sweater from the luggage and added a facemask and bucket cap to conceal his face. He took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves.

“Perfect,” the doctor said with a forced smile. He then walked towards a small door hidden in the corner of the room and opened it, revealing a man standing behind it. “This is Sangho. He’ll get you out of here safely.”

Sangho, a tall man with a stern expression, stepped forward, taking the luggage from Hoseok’s hands. He nodded towards the doctor, then motioned for Hoseok to follow him.

Hoseok, still in disbelief, turned to the doctor. “What’s your name?” he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

The doctor smiled faintly. “My name is Dr. Seo Minhyuk.”

Hoseok smiled through the tears that threatened to spill again. “Thank you, Dr. Seo Minhyuk. I owe you everything.” He stepped forward and hugged the doctor tightly.

Dr. Seo Minhyuk returned the hug, then handed Hoseok a credit card. “This has some money on it. Use it wisely.”

Before Hoseok could say anything, Dr. Seo Minhyuk gently pushed him out the door and locked it behind him. Hoseok’s lips trembled as he followed Sangho down a narrow corridor to a waiting truck. He climbed into the back, and as soon as the door closed, the truck sped off into the night.

Back in the hospital, Dr. Seo Minhyuk took a deep breath and composed himself. He stepped out of the room and discreetly made a call on his phone. “Bring the body,” he whispered into the receiver.

Moments later, a gurney was wheeled towards him, a body covered in a white cloth resting on top. Dr. Seo Minhyuk exchanged a knowing look with the man who brought it, high-fiving him as he rolled the gurney down the hall.

As he passed the waiting room, the brothers immediately stood up. Jungkook rushed forward, his face pale with worry. “What happened to Hoseok? Is he okay?” he demanded.

Dr. Seo Minhyuk forced a sorrowful expression, even as he felt a twisted satisfaction inside. “I’m sorry,” he said, his voice heavy with false regret. “Hoseok… and the babies… they didn’t make it. He lost too much blood. He… he’s gone.”

Yoongi scoffed, disbelief evident in his voice. “That’s not possible.”

Dr. Seo Minhyuk sighed and, with a practiced hand, pulled back the white sheet. The brothers gasped, their eyes wide with shock as they stared at the pale, lifeless body before them. It looked just like Hoseok.

Namjoon collapsed to the floor, tears streaming down his face. “No… no, this can’t be happening,” he cried, his voice breaking.

Taehyung, overwhelmed by the sight, ran to a trash can and retched.

Jin, though silent, wiped away tears that streamed down his cheeks. “Cremate him,” he finally said, his voice trembling. “We want to keep his ashes… close to us.”

Dr. Seo Minhyuk nodded solemnly, covering the body again. He rolled the gurney towards the morgue, keeping his composure until the door closed behind him.

Once inside, the body suddenly sat up, pulling off the sheet with a grin. “Did I really look like him?” the man asked, laughing.

Dr. Seo Minhyuk chuckled and gave him a thumbs-up. “Good enough to trick them.”

They exchanged smiles, and the man asked, “So, what will we cremate?”

The doctor smirked. “A goat will do.”