Chapter 11

Visiting the sick

After a dreamless night, Ji Chunshan got up the next morning when the rooster crowed at the first sound of the day. Ye Qinglan and Ji Ningxu in the east room were still asleep. After Ji Chunshan washed himself up, he first carried a shoulder pole and a bucket to the small river in front of the village to fetch water. When the water tank was full, he fed the three chickens and a pig at home, and then started to make a fire and cook.

One of the two stoves was boiling hot water, and the other was used to cook porridge. Grab two handfuls of rice, wash them clean, add appropriate amount of water and pour them into the pot, boil over high heat, put the bamboo tray on it after the water boils, put the two bowls of medicine boiled yesterday and two coarse grains on it, and continue to boil over low heat.

Taking advantage of his free time, he went into the house and took a look. Seeing that Ye Qinglan and Ji Ningxu had woken up, he went back to the kitchen, scooped some hot water from the big pot, added cold water to make warm water, and then brought the wooden basin into the east room for the two to wash.

Although Ji Ningxu was young, he was well-educated by Ye Qinglan. He could dress, fold the quilt, and wash himself. Ji Chunshan wanted to help Ye Qinglan wash, but Ye Qinglan had recovered some of her strength and could sit up, so she wet her towel and simply washed herself.

When Ji Chunshan returned to the kitchen again, the rice porridge in the pot had been cooked until the grains bloomed. He took out the bamboo tray, then took out two eggs and beat them in a bowl, stirred them well, and then poured them into the porridge in a circle. After a while, when the egg liquid solidified, he sprinkled some salt and a few drops of sesame oil, and the egg drop porridge was ready.

There was still some braised chicken and marinated pork from yesterday. They were a little dry after a day. They could be eaten if heated, but the taste was not very good after all. Ji Chunshan tore off the meat from the braised chicken, cut the marinated pork into shreds, and fried it again. After frying, he beat two eggs and mixed them with some flour to make a batter, spread three egg pancakes, and then took the tenderest cabbage heart, cut it into shreds, and rolled it into the egg pancakes with the fried chicken and marinated pork.

Turn off the fire, serve two bowls of egg drop porridge, along with two bowls of hot medicine, egg pancakes, and his own breakfast, and bring them into the east room.

Looking at the egg drop porridge, Ji Ningxu's egg pancakes, and Ji Chunshan's coarse grain pancakes with bean dregs and pickles on the dining table, Ye Qinglan couldn't help but flash a strange wave in his eyes.

After finishing breakfast in silence, Ji Chunshan cleaned up the dishes and took out the medicine bottle and homemade cotton swab.

This time, before Ji Chunshan could say anything, Ye Qinglan spoke first and said to Ji Ningxu: "Xu'er, go to Grandma Wu's house to play."

Ji Ningxu seemed reluctant to leave Ye Qinglan, but he went obediently. Ji Chunshan began to change the medicine for Ye Qinglan. The wound on Ye Qinglan's body had healed a lot. Some bruises had dissipated a little, and the cracked wounds had begun to heal. This was obviously thanks to the medicine for wounds given by Doctor Hu.

After applying the medicine, Ji Chunshan went to the chicken coop behind the house and caught the oldest old hen. He wanted to kill it and stew it for soup to nourish Ye Qinglan and Ji Ningxu. After boiling a pot of water, he cut the chicken's neck with a knife and drained the blood. Ji Chunshan began to pour hot water to remove the chicken's feathers. While he was busy, he heard the sound of horse hooves and the creaking sound of wooden wheels turning getting closer and closer.

Ji Chunshan looked in the direction of the sound and saw a carriage coming towards his home. There were two people sitting in the driver's seat. Ji Chunshan recognized them. They were Zhou Jing and his eldest son-in-law Fang Ji.