Chapter 38

Discomfort

After the laughter, a wave of bitterness and regret rose in his heart. He had lived here for more than a month, and he knew more about Ye Qinglan, his father who was a famous scholar, and that he had passed the Tongsheng exam with the first place at the age of fifteen. If he had not missed the last exam due to illness, he would have been a scholar even if he was not a scholar, instead of being trapped in the small space of the Ji family, where his talent and knowledge could only be used to enlighten a few children, and he was so happy for a few taels of silver.

No matter what, it was a good thing. Seeing Ye Qinglan so happy, Ji Chunshan cooked a few delicious dishes in the evening, and the family celebrated.

Ji Chunshan had picked a lot of wild grapes in the mountains before, half of which were dried into grape stalks and the other half were brewed into wine. After the wine was ready, he asked Doctor Hu and asked Ye Qinglan to drink a small cup of wine every night with dinner. It was good for the body and could help with sleep.

Ye Qinglan was really happy tonight and asked Ji Chunshan for more. Ji Chunshan didn't want to spoil his mood and allowed him to drink one more cup. Unexpectedly, Ye Qinglan felt unwell in the middle of the night.

Ji Chunshan was originally sleeping, but suddenly he heard a sound and woke up immediately. Although it was midnight, the moonlight was very bright tonight, shining through the window into the house, and he could see the house clearly without turning on the lights.

He got up and saw that it was Ye Qinglan who was by the stove, holding an iron kettle and pouring water into the cup.

"Is there no water in the teapot?" Ji Chunshan glanced at Ji Ningxu next to him, and saw that he was still sleeping, so he asked in a low voice. He had clearly filled a teapot with water before going to bed, and put it on the kang where Ye Qinglan could reach.

Ji Chunshan suddenly spoke, and Ye Qinglan was startled. The hand holding the kettle shook a little, and immediately spilled some water.

"Sorry for waking you up."

Ye Qinglan turned around, and Ji Chunshan found that his face was flushed and his forehead was covered with sweat. When he looked closely, he found that his body was trembling slightly.

Ji Chunshan immediately lifted the quilt and got off the kang.

"What's wrong with you? Are you feeling uncomfortable?" Ji Chunshan quickly came to Ye Qinglan and asked worriedly with a frown. Then he reached out to take the iron kettle that Ye Qinglan was holding, "I'll do it." He filled the kettle with water before going to bed, but it was quite heavy.

"No, I'm fine..." Ye Qinglan shook his head and tried to show off. Unexpectedly, when his hand on the handle of the kettle was touched by Ji Chunshan, it seemed as if it was burned by fire. It ran along his arm to his whole body, burning up the only strength in his body. His body softened immediately, and his hand loosened, and the iron kettle was about to fall.

Fortunately, Ji Chunshan was right beside him and reacted very quickly. He picked up the iron kettle with one hand and grabbed the person with the other hand and held him in his arms.

Both of them were wearing close-fitting underwear, so Ji Chunshan immediately felt the abnormally high temperature on Ye Qinglan's body. Seeing Ye Qinglan frowning and closing his eyes, full of forbearance, he quickly put down the iron kettle, picked up the person horizontally, sent him to the kang, and covered him with a quilt.

"I'll go find Doctor Hu now, you bear it for a while." Ji Chunshan said, quickly putting on his clothes.

"...Don't, don't go, I'm fine." Ye Qinglan opened her eyes and tried to stop him.