Chapter 59

New Year's Goods

"Wife, be careful of the child." Xie Yuan moved first. He took two big steps to Wu Yun's side, holding her arm, and said with concern.

"Wife, be careful...of the basket." Ji Chunshan followed closely behind, took a big step to Ye Qinglan's side, holding the bamboo basket in his...hand, and also said with concern.

Wu Yun was talking happily with Ye Qinglan, but was interrupted by Xie Yuan. She immediately glanced at him with disdain, and shook her arm gently to break free from his hand. She also pushed him away and said impatiently, "Go away, go away, don't get in the way of me and Qinglan talking." She also said to Aunt Wu who was kissing Ji Ningxu at the kitchen door, "Mom, it's very cold outside. Let's go inside. Let your son-in-law take care of the kitchen."

Compared to the sharp and straightforward Wu Yun, Ye Qinglan was much gentler. He smiled at Ji Chunshan and said softly, "Then please take this basket to the kitchen." Then he put the bamboo basket in Ji Chunshan's hand, and then went into the house with Wu Yun.

When Aunt Wu saw Ji Ningxu and Ye Qinglan, she didn't care about anything else. She hugged... now she couldn't hold him anymore, so she took Ji Ningxu's hand and happily went into the main house, leaving Ji Chunshan and Xie Yuan standing in the yard, feeling the whistling north wind, looking at each other in silence.

Although Xie Yuan knew Ji Chunshan, he was not very familiar with him, so he said, "Brother Ji, you should go upstairs too. I have to go to the kitchen first."

It was almost noon, and the family had to entertain guests from afar with lunch, but the food they had prepared for their family was definitely not enough. Fortunately, the New Year was coming soon, and the family had prepared some New Year's goods, including a lot of meat and eggs, and rice and flour. They just needed to stir-fry a few more dishes and heat up some white flour buns, and there was no need to go out to buy anything.

"I'll go with you, and take this to the kitchen too." Ji Chunshan raised the bamboo basket in his hand and smiled at him.

Since it was sent to the kitchen, it was probably food. Thinking of Ji Chunshan's craftsmanship, Xie Yuan thought it was cakes made by him. However, when he entered the kitchen, Ji Chunshan put down the bamboo basket and asked him for a plate. He found out that the bamboo basket contained their famous Xuji Braised Pig's Trotter and a few hot side dishes.

Afraid that Xie Yuan would misunderstand that he was unhappy, Ji Chunshan explained first: "Don't mind, brother Xie, I don't mean anything else. It's mainly because I came here suddenly this time and didn't tell you in advance. It happened to be noon, so I was afraid of troubling you too much, so I packed a few dishes on the way here to save some trouble."

If it were an ordinary person, I'm afraid that Ji Chunshan would think that he looked down on them, either because he thought their family couldn't afford a meal, or because he disliked the food in his family. If it was not good, it would cause a rift, but Xie Yuan was a big-hearted person, and he also knew that Ji Chunshan was just as he said, and had no other thoughts, so he would not take it to heart.

After that, Ji Chunshan didn't leave the kitchen. Xie Yuan added firewood to the stove and heated the steamed buns, and he put the pig's trotters and side dishes on the plate.

"...That's a family from the outside. They bought the yard next to my house about five or six years ago. The head of the family is a young scholar named Ye, who studies at Jinjiang Academy. The person you saw today should be his wife, Xu. In addition to the couple, there is only an aunt hired to do laundry and cooking in the family." Xie Yuan answered what Ji Chunshan had asked him before while lighting the fire.