Chapter 4

Eggs

At noon, Ye Qinglan was still unconscious, and the high fever showed no signs of going away. Aunt Wu was worried and kept watching him. Fortunately, it was still within the time that Doctor Hu said, so the two of them didn't worry too much. Ji Chunshan, as the "culprit", knew that he was not welcome, so he didn't get in the way in front of people and turned to the kitchen.

The house where Ji Chunshan's family lived was at the edge of the north of the village. It was the most common thatched-roof mud house in the countryside. It was not large. The dead branches surrounded a half-person-high fence. A few broken wooden boards formed a door. There were only three main rooms, a wing room and a straw shed for firewood and carts. Behind the main room were the vegetable garden, chicken coop and toilet. The main room was the main hall where guests were entertained and eaten on weekdays. There were two rooms on the left and right. The east room was where Ji Chunshan lived alone, and the west room was the utility room and where Ye Qinglan and Ji Ningxu slept.

The wing room is also the kitchen. It is not big, only about 10 square meters. There is a half-person-high water tank against the wall outside the door. There is a stove with two stoves on the left side of the door. Next to it is a wooden shelf with kitchen utensils such as pots, bowls, plates, knives, shovels and spoons. It is the place for cooking on weekdays except in winter.

The other half of the wing room is a complete set of utensils for making tofu. A stone mill with a diameter of about 50 to 60 centimeters can be said to be the most valuable thing in this family. Tofu is a food that has only appeared in recent years. It is said that it was made by a prince in the capital who is keen on cultivating immortals. At first, everyone thought it was fresh and pursued it for a while, but as more and more people can make it, tofu has become less and less valuable.

Ji's father is a carpenter. He made tofu making utensils for many families at the beginning. Later, he simply made a set for his own family. But who knew that as soon as he brought the ordered stone mill home and got a complete set of utensils, tofu became worthless.

Making tofu is a time-consuming and laborious job. It is not only tedious and hard, but also not as profitable as before, so it is not worth doing it anymore. Therefore, this set of tools was placed in the utility room of the Ji family. Fortunately, the stone mill can be used to grind flour on weekdays, so it is not too bad.

After the decline of the Ji family, this set of tofu-making tools finally came in handy. Although it was hard work and the profit was small, it was the only income of the Ji family besides the two acres of land.

Since Ji's mother passed away a year ago and Ye Qinglan failed to leave the Ji family, all the work of making tofu fell on Ye Qinglan. Not to mention how tired he was every day, but he didn't get a penny from the sales.

Sighing, Ji Chunshan squatted down and started to light the fire and prepare to cook. Fortunately, he still had the memory of his original body. Although it was the first time to use a flint to make a fire, he would be able to do it after trying a few times.

Looking at the burning flames, Ji Chunshan was stunned and a little dazed. He didn't know why he came here, and he didn't know what happened to the original Ji Chunshan. Was he still in the body, or had he died, or had he gone to a certain world like him and continued to live in someone else's body?

He didn't know anything, but since it had already happened, it was useless to think about it. Rather than wasting energy on things he couldn't control, it was more important to focus on the present. No matter who he was or where he was, he had to live and his life had to go on.

After a busy day, a simple lunch was ready soon. A plate of cabbage and tofu, a plate of scrambled eggs with green onions, and a plate of pickled cabbage lumps cut into thin strips. The staple food was fried scallion pancakes with both sides burnt and fragrant, plus a bowl of pumpkin corn porridge.