1. The Crash

Song for this chapter:
Elastic Heart- Madilyn Bailey

~~~~~~~~~~

Noelani's pov

Today is my birthday and I am finally six years old! Me and my family are in the car on the way to my birthday meal that I am having with the rest of my family. I am so excited! I look out of my car window and swing my feet slightly as I am way too short to be able to touch the flooring of the car.

"Daddy please can you turn up the volume and change the song?" I ask him.

"Sure birthday girl. Just give me a second though." He says.

My dad takes one hand off the steering wheel. He quickly takes his eyes off the road for less than ten seconds to fumble around with the volume. He turns it up quickly and changes the song. That is when my life changed dramatically.

"Dad watch out!" My older sister, Jessie shouts.

My mum screams and we all violently jolt forwards. I hear an ear piercing scream coming from my mum and sister and the sound of metal and metal colliding. I feel our car being forced upwards and the motion of spinning. I then hear the screeches of car tires and the smashing of our car. My hearing is filled with the sounds of screaming and cars stopping to a halt and finally, a large crashing sound to which my body slams forward.

Pain fills my stomach and my left arm starts throbbing. I look to my right and see my sister, she has her eyes closed. I look over to the drivers seat and see my dad huddled over the steering wheel. His eyes are also closed too but he is losing a lot of blood from a large cut in his head. I start to panic as none of them are moving. Tears fill my eyes.

"Mummy? Daddy? Jessie?" I ask quietly.

I get no reactions or responses. I start to cry out of fear and also pain. I hear sirens and panicked voices. I realise that I am upside down and I scream in pain as my arm and stomach start to hurt a whole lot more as I start to slip from my car seat.

"A little girl is stuck in the car!" I hear a man's voice shout.

The car door next to me opens and I see a man in a fireman's uniform.

"Please help me!" I cry to him.

"I will little one. I need you to do exactly what I say. Can you lean forwards for me?" He asks, his voice smooth and calming.

I nod my head and slowly lean forwards, trying my best to ignore the increase of pain that had caused.

"Good girl. Now please can you tuck your arms in?"

"My arm really hurts." I cry.

"It'll be okay. I need you to be brave and to tuck your arms in for me though."

I slowly tuck my arms in but my left arm starts to sting like mad.

"Okay, now I am going to undo your seatbelt and I'll catch you okay?"

"Okay." I say scared.

His hand slowly moves towards my seatbelt and I close my eyes. I hear a click and my small frame falls forwards. I squeal and I feel strong arms grip me and carefully pulls me out of the car.

I hear gasps and cries of relief. I slowly open my eyes to see people surrounding me and the fireman that saved me. I look back at the car and scream. Tears stream down my cheeks. The front of the car is totally smashed in and destroyed. I notice a red liquid, blood, forming it's own puddle around the car.

"Mummy? Daddy? Jessie?" I whisper.

The man holding me carries me to an ambulance. One of the nurses takes me away from him and sits me on the bed that is inside the ambulance. The nurse sits opposite me and I look down at my small hands. There are loads of tiny cuts going along my pale white skin. My tears drip onto my jeans, staining them slightly.