46. Temporary Family

Songs for this chapter:
Don't Bring Me Down - Sia
Long Way Down - Tom Odell

~~~~~~~~~~

Connor's pov
As we watch the Disney films I feel my t-shirt slowly becoming damp. I look down and see Noelani crying silently. I take her hand in mine and kiss it gently. I slip down her bed so our faces are level and I lay on my side so I am facing her. She looks at me and barely whispers an apology. I shake my head to her apology and rest my head to hers. She looks at my eyes and then closes her own. I kiss her gently and I feel her kiss me back just as gentle. I pull away as she sniffles a little and I pull her into my chest. She hugs me tight, her fingers scrunching up some of the material of my T-shirt. I kiss the top of her head and cuddle her.

Tyler looks over and smiles weakly. I smile faintly and he reaches over and rubs Noelani's side. Troye has fallen asleep so Tyler moves so Troye is on the end and he is now sat next to Noelani. I turn the tv off and me and Tyler cuddle up to Noelani. Tyler cuddles her back as I cuddle her front. I can't hear her crying but I know she is because I can feel the warmth of her breath on my stomach. The four of us stay silent, Troye being fast asleep and me and Tyler comforting Noelani together. I look round for Mr Teddy as I know that helps her but I can't find it.

"I gave Mr Teddy to Mike... He needed him more than I do... I wanted Mike to have a piece of me with him when he went to heaven." She cries as she looks up at me.

My heart melts as she gave away the only thing left that she had from her parents. She gave it to Mike so he wouldn't be alone. But now she is alone. I smile at her and she smiles too but it's not her normal smile. There's a knock on the bedroom door and it opens and Nate and Natalie come in. Noelani tries to sit up but her body is weak so I help her and so does Tyler. They both come in and Tyler wakes Troye up and they both leave the room. Noelani asks me to stay with her.

Nate and Natalie close the door after Tyler and Troye. They come closer and Noelani holds my hand tight. I look at her and tears are still rolling down her cheeks. Natalie open her arms and carefully pulls Noelani into them. I shake Nate's hand and he pulls me up and hugs me quickly. I thank him silently.

"I am so sorry sweetie... We heard this morning..." Natalie says in tears just like Noelani.

Nate hugs Noelani and she hugs him tight. Nate rubs her back and closes his eyes as he can probably feel the pain you can feel when you hug Noelani.

"I know it isn't much, but we got you some roses and something else..." Natalie says giving Noelani a small bunch of red roses.

"We know you gave this to Mike so he wouldn't be alone. But he asked us to not let you leave this with him. He knows you mean good by it but he said you will need it more than he will and it's the only thing you have left of your parents and sister. He is safe now and he isn't alone up there. You need the thing you have had since you were a baby because it's your source of comfort." Nate says, revealing Mr Teddy.

He passes it to Noelani and she takes it and looks at the stuffed bear. A small smile makes it's way to her face and she nods a little.

"Mike always use to play games with me when I was younger... Mr Teddy would be my best friend and we would play hide and seek together... If I couldn't find Mr Teddy, Mike would know where he would be hiding. I thought that this time it was my turn to seek, I let them hide together. I guess I took a little too long to find them." Noelani says as she looks at the bear.

A tear leaves my eyes and the two adults sniffle.

"Thank you for giving him back to me... I just wanted Mike to have something to cuddle when he felt alone but I guess he is braver than I would be. I guess I'm the one that needs Mr Teddy the most." She says looking up at them for a few seconds.