6. First Flight

Noelani's pov

While we drive to the airport I read more of Matilda. I wish I had her powers because I could've turned up the volume with my mind instead from getting my dad to do it. If I had those powers my family would still be here and I wouldn't be on my way to an airport to fly to Minnesota. I like it here in Michigan. I have my friends here and my school, not to mention my actual home. Why couldn't I go to a care home here? I mean there has to be one surely.

"Do you wish you had Matilda's powers?" Toby asks me.

"Yes because I could of turned up the volume myself and my family would still be here." I say quietly.

"It's not your fault. It really isn't. It was just a terrible, terrible accident." He says rubbing my arm awkwardly.

"Then why did Maggie say it was my fault?" I ask him, not forgetting what Maggie said to me when she was getting angry with me and Natalie.

"She didn't mean it did you, Maggie?" He says looking at the passenger seat.

"No I really didn't. Sorry if I seemed horrible at the hospital, I was stressed because I thought you were going to play up. Most children do but you were very grown up and understanding about coming with us. I'm nice really, I promise." She says turning to look at me.

"I'll have to see that for myself." I whisper quietly.

No-one heard me luckily, otherwise I think Maggie would've proven herself wrong within seconds.

"It's okay. I'll just stay out of your way and everyone else's." I say to them both

"No, you can hang out with the other children if you want to." Toby says smiling.

"I'll keep to myself." I say quietly.

"Okay." Maggie says, not making a fuss.

We arrive at the airport and I feel my nerves settling in on my stomach and chest. Am I really about to leave where I have grown up until now? Am I really leaving my friends and school? Am I really about to become further away from my family members and the bodies of my parents and sister? I guess so.

Toby picks me up and carries me into the airport. It is heaving with people so I guess if I was walking they would lose sight of me. Maggie pulls along all of my belongings, I hope she packed my teddy and my books and some of my films. But if she has forgotten my teddy then I won't be able to sleep at night.

"Maggie did you pack my brown teddy bear?" I ask her with hope in my eyes.

"Do you mean this one?"

She pulls out the teddy from a rucksack and my eyes lighten up and I reach out for it.

"Let me look after it until we are on the plane." She says putting it back in the bag.

I nod unconvincingly and hold onto Toby's shoulders. I know it's weird for a stranger to carry a six year old girl but the thing is I am very short for my young age. I was considered as one of the smallest in my class and I still look about four. At least that's what people at school would say and Jessie.

"Hello can you show me your plane tickets?" The reservation agent asks.

Toby puts me down and I stay by his side shaking with nervousness. He holds out three tickets and gives them to the woman. She checks them through and gives them back to him.

"Okay and now could you please put your luggage on the conveyor belt." Toby helps Maggie and I stare at a poster of a plane.

"Okay. Thank you. Your gate is Gate Seven. Please have a nice flight to Minnesota." She waves at me and I hold Toby's hand.