Chapter 53

(53) "Fatal Flaw"

"As He ascended into Heaven, He gave what is known as The Great Commission, which commanded His Apostles to share The Gospel with everyone. He also said that He would be with them at all times, and that whoever believes in Him and is Baptized will be saved!" Said Christine as she dabbed Erik's face with an alcohol-soaked cloth.

He winced at the sting of the liquid, but nodded at the information given him.

"So... Whoever believes in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection and is Baptized goes to Heaven...?" He asked.

"Yup!"

Erik took a deep breath before declaring,

"...I think..... I believe."

Christine froze.

"Really?!" She questioned eagerly.

He nodded again.

"Yes. If there is any salvation from sin, and if there is a definite way to have the assurance of Heaven, I need it."

She smiled at him.

"I'm so glad." She said as she gently embraced him.

"Although, I would like to ask why, if He loves us so much, He would let us suffer from painful things... such as my deformity...."

She stepped away from him.

"I think... It's because... Well... Would we appreciate the absence of pain if we didn't experience the thing itself? Would we know the difference between something painful and something comforting if we never went through anything less than bliss?"

"I suppose we would not..."

"God can use pain to teach us lessons, as well. We learn proper behavior by experiencing the consequences of our improper actions, all of which are either physically or emotionally painful. We learn things because of the experiences we have. You, you're really brave! Would you be as strong and have as much courage as you do if your life would've been much calmer than it has been?"

"No... I wouldn't. You sure are talkative this evening..."

"Well then, I apologize for talking so much." Said Christine with a sheepish smile as she reached into the first-aid kit in order to retrieve a bandage.

"No, it's alright." Erik responded as he warmly returned her smile.

Christine carefully bandaged Erik's face and made sure the fabric wouldn't be uncomfortable or show underneath his mask.

"There. All better." She said cheerfully.

Erik's expression turned into a questioning one.

"...I don't think so."

"What? What's wrong?"

"You have to kiss it better."

Christine blushed faintly, giggled, and pecked his cheek, which caused him to smile gratefully.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."