Chapter 44

Gaston stood as still as a statue when Christine's first note graced his ears. As she sang, his jaw slowly fell open. He knew she had an extraordinary talent people would come from miles around to witness, and he was grateful she had accepted his job offer.

Within minutes, the song was over. Gaston applauded loudly as the last note faded. Christine turned to him and curtsied.

"That was magnificent. I've never heard any voice like yours, Christine." He said, thoroughly impressed.

"Thank you! You know, I wouldn't have this voice if it weren't for my teacher..." She said with a smile as she looked towards Erik.

"Training your voice is a pleasure, my dear." He responded with a grin.

"Oh, Erik... You're very good with words." Christine stated as her cheeks turned a light shade of crimson.

Gaston took a quick look at his pocket watch.

"20 minutes to showtime, Erik!" He announced.

"R-Right, sir. Thank you for the warning." Responded the magician, trying his best to show respect.

Gaston chuckled.

"I'll see you two later." He said as he exited the room.

The door closed, leaving the room in an awkward silence. After a few seconds, Christine looked up at Erik. Suddenly, he picked her up and carried her to the couch, where he noticed the black scarf hanging on an armrest. After gently setting her down, he grabbed the scarf and placed it in the chest it came from. He turned back to Christine, who was sitting up, and sat beside her on the couch.

"We've got 20 minutes. What would you like to do?" Erik asked.

In response to his question, Christine turned her face to look at him. She slowly moved in towards him until their noses were barely touching. Erik did nothing but stare at her, wondering what she would do next.

she then closed her eyes and smiled.

"I love you," she said softly.

Erik closed his eyes as well. He soon felt a hand on his mask, and he made no move to stop Christine as she removed it. he was hesitant to open his eyes, thinking that Christine's eyes would hold some disgust or repulsion. Finally, he mustered up the courage to look at her.

What he saw in her eyes made his heart skip a beat.

Rather than disgust, he saw love. he saw understanding. determination to lead him to Light. Such things were unfamiliar to him. A single tear slid down his face.

"How can this be?" he asked himself.