Chapter 58

One Monday morning, as the couple ate breakfast before work, Erik decided to read the newspaper he had picked up at the bookstore a few days prior. He took a long sip of coffee as he unrolled the reading material. What he saw on the front page nearly caused him to spew his beverage everywhere.

"VICOMTE DE CHAGNEY IMPRISONED FOR BRUTAL BEATING OF SECOND WIFE"

"Ch-Christine.... You'll want to see this."

He handed her the paper, and her eyes widened.

"Wow... He was abusive, but I can't believe he's gotten this abusive..." She said as she glanced at the sketch depicting Raoul's second wife at the bottom of the page.

"I can see why they imprisoned him..." She continued.

"The Vicomte has finally gotten what he deserves." Erik said with a serious expression.

"Yeah..."

"..."

"..."

"...Christine?"

"Yes?"

"After work tonight, would you like to go out to dinner?"

"What for?"

"...You will see."

"Ummm....... Okay... I look forward to dinner tonight, then!"

Their day went as usual, and that evening, they strolled into a slightly fancy restaurant located in the northern part of the town.

"This place is nice!" Christine said as she took note of her surroundings.

"I came here awhile ago, and I knew you'd like it."

They were seated at a table with a cream tablecloth, a single, lit candle between them, and plates with simple designs carved into their raised edges. Their waitor came and took their drink orders, then sped off. They chatted and decided what they wanted to eat, Erik trying his very best not to be nervous at what he was about to do. After their waitor came with their drinks, they ordered and sat in silence.