Chapter 22

Erik explained the story, and realization slapped Christine across the face.

"Erik... You're not a beast."

"You're right. I'm not a beast... I'm much worse. My face has denied me a normal life. It deprives me of things that everyone else is able to experience. You cannot imagine how much pain this deformity has caused me, Christine. I... I have no chance of living a normal life."

She sat down beside him, threw her arms around his torso, and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I love your deformity, Erik. Is my love not enough?"

Erik's cheeks turned crimson almost instantly.

"Your love is plenty."

He had no more intent of talking about his face, so he decided to change the subject.

"What did you prepare for dinner?"

Christine let go of Erik, stood up and began walking towards the kitchen while replying,

"Chicken soup."

"That sounds wonderful..." Erik said as he paced into the dining room.

A small smile graced Christine's lips as she carried 2 bowls of soup to the table. She set one in front of Erik and sat down in her chair, ready to eat the other.

"Thank you for preparing dinner." Erik said with a sincere tone.

"My pleasure! I love to cook." Replied Christine.

They both tasted the soup. Christine smiled warmly at the fact that what she had cooked tasted good, and Erik gaped. Christine noticed and asked what was wrong.

"This soup... is literally the best thing I've ever consumed." Erik said quietly.

Christine blushed profusely.

"Thank you!" She responded.

"No, thank you." Said Erik. "If I ever become ill, please make this food for me."

"Of course." Christine replied while smiling a small smile.

They ate in silence.

Once Erik had finished his bowl, he carried it to the dishwashing basin and left it submerged in the water. He then stood next to Christine's chair, leaned over, and gently skimmed his lips against her cheek.

"Thank you for the meal, Christine. Goodnight..." He said in a low whisper, his lips hovering over her skin.

Before she could respond, Erik briskly walked away, leaving her blushing like mad.

"Y-you're welcome..." Christine stammered as she sat in her chair, smiling uncontrollably.

(200 reads. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Update: I am so so so sorry for being inactive for like, over a week. I apologize. School has been hectic, and I've got a little bit of writer's block, but the next chapter will be up in a few days, hopefully. Once again, I sincerely apologize for my absence. Thank you for reading! :3)