Chapter 35

"Well then... Perhaps I should taunt her in return..." Erik growled as he traced Christine's jawline with his index finger.

She looked as if her legs were about to give out. Erik said nothing, but brushed his fingertips against her almost bare hips. She gaped at him, and goosebumps were soon visible all over her skin. She slowly closed her mouth, looked towards the ground, and mumbled,

"Erik, I need to go put some clothes on... I think I'm distracting you."

"From what, my dear?"

"Life, Erik. I'm distracting you from life."

He chuckled and released her. She began walking away, and Erik couldn't help but stare. He walked over to one of his regal cabinets and pulled out a clean change of clothes for himself. He closed his door and removed his clothing. After putting on his new apparel and his "eating mask", he glanced at his pocket watch, which was resting on a bedside table. To his delight, he had plenty of time to eat and get to work.

As he strode into the kitchen to make breakfast, he noticed Christine already halfway done preparing the meal.

"Is there any way I can help you, my angel?" He asked as he stood near the table.

Christine turned around. She was wearing a dark blue winter dress with a blood red cloak.

"Actually, yes... Your plate is over there, on the counter. You can go sit down if you like. My food is almost finished, so I'll join you in just a moment, my love." She said while smiling sweetly.

"Are you sure? Why don't you sit down while I finish cooking for us?" Asked Erik.

"It's alright, really. Thank you for offering, though. You're quite a gentleman."

"I act this way because I love you, my dear Christine." Erik said.

There was silence as Christine brought her plate over to the table. When Erik noticed her approaching, he immediately stood from his seat and pulled out a chair for her.

"I love you more." She said happily as she scooted towards the table in her chair.

"...No, my angel, I believe you are mistaken. I love you more."

"Alright, fine." Christine giggled.

Erik noticed her bow her head, close her eyes, and put her hands together. She stayed like that for almost a minute. When she opened her eyes and looked towards him, a curious expression crossed his halfway-masked face.

"What was that?" He asked.