Chapter 55

Days passed. Erik and Christine picked up a Bible at a bookstore in the small town near the castle. The former became a stronger Christian. They had voice lessons every other day, and Christine was given her own dressing room for the musical debut that soon took place.

"How should I act??? Should I smile???" She nervously asked her lover.

"There is no need to worry about acting, because the audience will love your natural attitude, and I believe you should smile, because the song you are going to sing is in a Major key, and also because your smile is superb." He responded.

"Thank you... Do you think I'll do well???"

"You're welcome, and I'm positive you'll do much better than 'well!'"

Christine blushed.

"You're really confident in me... What if I mess up?"

"You won't."

"But-"

"You won't."

"...Okay."

The couple stood smiling at each other backstage as Gaston announced the new singer, who was about to be presented.

"Please welcome... Christine Daae!" He said as the mentioned performer said a silent prayer in her head.

The crowd applauded politely as Christine stepped out onto the stage. The musical intro began, and soon, the lyrics to "Think of Me" were being melodically dispensed from her lips. The song continued, and frankly, she was enjoying it. The feeling of being onstage and singing for an audience was quite exciting to her. She hit the final notes flawlessly, and curtsied as the audience gave her a (once again) standing ovation. After leaving the stage, she was greeted by a tight hug from Erik.

"You sang excellently, my dear." He said with sincerity after the embrace had ended.

He removed a black-ribbon-tied red rose from a pocket in his suit and handed it to her.

"Thanks!"

"No problem, you deserve it."

Their lips met for a second before they both pulled away, eager to know what both the audience and Gaston thought of Christine.
    In the lobby, new fans flocked about her, complimenting her voice and whispering to one another about how her hand was attached to Erik's. Murmurs of "I ship it" flooded the room, but the couple didn't mind. Finally, Gaston approached them.

"Christine, the star of the show! .....Sorry, Erik." He said, referring to the fact that he thought Christine's singing was even better than Erik's illusions.

"It's fine, sir. I think she did amazing." The masked man replied with a smile.

"I agree. Great job, Mademoiselle!"

"Thank you!"

    Eventually, the audience left, and so did Erik and Christine. They found a small restaurant in the town plaza and had a celebratory dinner there. They later went back to the castle and studied the beginning of Genesis.

(Hi! Thanks for reading! "Think of Me", as you all probably know, is by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Just had to give credit. ^-^)