File 55: The One with the Vengeance

-- "And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones, 'cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs." --

2 weeks later...

Ariana

Ever since the traumatic incident, Harry hasn't neared the idea of sleep nor has he said a word to anyone about anything. I can say the amount of eye contact he's made with anyone was close to a zero, or maybe just that. My heart ached for the young boy crying behind dull green eyes for the loss of his childhood friend, realizing that he can't go to his door and ask if he can go outside and play anymore. I could only imagine how much pain he has been drowning in since the moment he hit the ground; his dull features for the past two weeks was just a preview of it.

"Do you want the lights off?" I asked in a gentle voice, Harry hardly giving any attention to what I just said. And with that, the light is switched off and I carefully walk through the dark and to my side of the bed - beside him, the man I love and will continue to love through anything he is going through.

I open my mouth to speak, but stop myself as quick as the idea of talking came into mind. I didn't exactly know what to say at this point; I didn't want to make things worse and I didn't want to remind him of something that was painfully torn away from him.

"I don't think I'm allowed to compare situations like this, but I'm going to do it anyway since you are not going to stop me." I paused, hoping he did before I could tug on strings that didn't want to be pulled. "When I was younger, my life was only this, but a little less extreme... I tried to be normal. I went to school, studied like a hundred different subjects and wanted to die when final exams came around, and you know who I was? I was that kid that eats alone at a table, or in the hall, or sometimes in the bathroom because my parents strictly told me not to make any friends 'cause it would only make things harder for me. And you know what I did? I made a fucking friend." I laughed nervously.

"At the beginning, I tried my hardest to push her away but she just wouldn't budge. She was the most ambitous and determined person I knew, so I think she challenged herself when it came to me. She pushed her strong-headed way into my life and filled it with a friendship I never knew that I longed for this whole time... She turned out to be the bestest friend a girl could ever have." I smiled, memories flashing through my mind before my smile turned into a frown, "Until one night at a school dance..."

More painful memories made appearance and I flinched at the thought of them, trying to force them away as I continued to talk, "That night, I found out that I didn't clean up my tracks with the last mission I had done, and they found me." I take a deep breath, realizing how heart-aching it was to bring this up, because from that day, I have never had the courage to bring myself around and talk about it to anyone.

In a split second, I feel Harry's hand rest upon mine and give it a reassuring squeeze to let me know that he was there and listening to every word I was saying. For those few seconds, he had given me attention that he hasn't given any one for the past two weeks and that only makes my heart hurt more. His hand pulls away again as he returns to his side of the bed, his back to me, and I go on, "They found me and something they knew meant way more to me,... You can guess what they went after. They wanted to rip someone that I loved out of my life in the most painful way and they did that with my best friend. That night...that night I watched her die right in front of my eyes and in that moment, I couldn't do anything about it." I was crying and the more that I talked about it, the more weight was finally lifting off of me.