Chapter 7

At school Phil acts as if nothing happened, he's his same normal self. Maybe he didn't remember. Maybe all the stuff he said was just him being really drunk. What was that saying though, drunken mind, sober voice or something like that? Or maybe I'm just being hopeful. Maybe Phil's just really over friendly. Or maybe he realise he made a mistake when he kissed me the night we first met. Or maybe I'm just a really bad kisser.

I need to stop over thinking this so much but the longer he acts like everything is normal the more stressed and confused I get. I need to just forget about it. It probably all meant nothing.

"You okay?" PJ asks when we take our seats in French. "You seem a little quiet,"

"Just tired, I guess," I say fiddling with my pen.

"Dan, seriously, what's wrong?" PJ says looking at me with a worried crease between his eyebrows. How did he always know when something was up?

"It's just...Phil. I...you know what? It doesn't matter. I'm being stupid," I say quickly.

"No no, you're not. Tell me," I take a second and then explain to PJ everything that's been worrying me for the past few days all whilst we're supposed to be practising some verb ending or whatever.

"I get it," PJ says. "And I'll help you. But first, one thing, do you want to be in a relationship with Phil? Do you like him?"

"I...I guess," I say after a minute.

"Great. Consider me your new personal match maker, Chris'll help," PJ says sounding excited.

"What?" I say worried, "no. Please don't do anything. Let's just forget it. Okay?"

"You want to go out with Phil, so we're going to get you a date. We'll help. It's going to be like a secret mission I'll explain everything to Chris, if you're okay with him knowing...?" He pauses for my consent and I nod "and then we can have a planning mission tonight. This is going to be so much fun," I look at PJs excited and hopeful face. I sigh.

"Fine. But if anything goes wrong or you mess this up, it's completely your fault," I say and PJ smiles excitedly and then we actually get on with the French work so we don't end up in detention.

********

"So, what's the plan?" Chris asks as he drops his bag on my floor and launches himself on to my bed.

"Well... I hadn't got that far," PJ says quietly sitting down on my bed.

"Great. I have so much faith," I mutter sarcastically still kind of against the idea.

"Well, let's brain storm then," Chris says sitting up and putting his fingers to his temple. I roll my eyes but start thinking anyway. Did Phil like me? He seemed to act like he didn't, maybe it was just a one time thing. Or a two time thing, I guess. How could I get Phil to like me?

After a good five seconds of thinking Chris sighed.

"I've got nothing," he complains. "I need food. I'll be right back," and he jumps up to go to the kitchen.

"Well, he was helpful," I say lying down on my bed, looking up at the ceiling.

"Have some faith," PJ says "it's going to work. I promise. Chris just has the attention span of a two-year old,"

"Whatever you say PJ,"

When Chris comes back up with crisps and food for us all we decide to take a break from our plotting to eat and play video games. And then Chris' mum rings saying they need him home for family tea so he hoes and then it was just me and PJ. We are talking about the French homework whilst spread out on my beanbags when he suddenly sits up really straight.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I've got an idea!" He says excitedly.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I'm not sure if it'll work. I need to talk to Chris about something," and he jumps up quickly and grabs his bag.

"You're not going to tell me?" I ask as he walks towards the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow Dan. Just trust me," and then he is gone.

Great, absolute nothing could go wrong, right?