Chapter 13

When PJ drops me off at home I immediately go upstairs to my room and without bothering to get changed or do my teeth I flop ungracefully on to my bed and let sleep pull me into my subconscious.

The next morning I force myself to leave my bed when my alarm rings and slowly get dressed in a zombie-like manner. As I force my feet to first lesson biology and listen to the teacher drone on I get more and more worried because the vacant seat next to me- stays vacant. Where's Phil? Shut up brain. Stop caring so much.

He's probably visiting the person in hospital. I hope nothing bad happened to them. I didn't even know who they were but they obviously meant something to Phil and even if it was a girlfriend or a boyfriend I didn't want to see Phil being hurt.

I went through the rest of the morning in this quiet state. PJ seemed to think something was wrong and I continued to assure him I was fine. I was fine, right?

Maybe this entire thing with Phil was wearing down on me. Worrying about him. About the person he's visiting. Battling with my feelings. Deciding if he likes me back. This thing was tiring. I just need to forget about him for a bit. Clear my head of him.

"Hey guys!" I hear from behind me. Well, there goes that plan.

"Hey Phil," PJ says as he takes a seat at our table in the middle of the library.

"Hello Phillip," Chris welcome and Phil give him a odd look.

"Hi," I say.

"Sorry I was late, my car wouldn't start." He says. Was he lying? He probably was. God, I needed to stop. He probably did have car troubles. I should stop second guessing everything he says. "Again," he adds looking at me. I smile, having gotten over PJs stupidity and finding the whole situation rather entertaining.

"At least this time it wasn't in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere," I comment with a shrug.

"It wasn't the middle of the night! You don't need to make me feel any worse about forcing you to come and help me," he says sounding guilty.

"Phil it's fine. I would've come even if it was the middle of the night," did I really just say that? Now I sound desperate? I need to stop second guessing everything I say myself now. This is so infuriating.

Phil just smiles at me.

"Well," PJ suddenly exclaims rather loudly, "I just remembered that I've got some maths homework that's due," and he jumps up. "Chris will you help me?" He asks with meaning.

"What? Maths? No I'm terrible," Chris says not understanding the hint in PJs voice.

"Oh you're a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Come on," PJ says with even more emphasis on his words. Did he really think Phil was so stupid as to not realise what he was doing? Was Chris really so stupid as to not realise what PJ was doing?

"Seriously. Ask Dan. He's better," Chris says.

"Dan's actually terrible," PJ snaps. "Also I've got chocolate," and with that Chris jumps up and they both walk off. I sigh.

"Well, that was..." Phil starts not really sure what to say.

"Yeah, they're getting odder and odder," Phil laughs.

"I think you're right," he says smiling at me. I really really loved him smile. There's a slight pause between us but it doesn't feel awkward it just feels comfortable. "Did Chris sort his...bladder problems?" I snort with laughter.

"Um...yes I think so," I say smiling widely, Phil returns the smile.

"That's good. I'm so glad. What lesson do you have next?" He asks.