Chapter 30

It felt like only ten minutes later when Phil was shaking me awake excitedly.

"It's Christmas!" He said loudly.

"Really? I hadn't noticed," I grumbled rubbing my eyes.

"Oh shut up," Phil said rolling his eyes, I smiled at him with his messy hair and sleepy eyes.

"Merry Christmas baby,"

"Merry Christmas Dan," he said and kissed me before rolling out of bed and onto the floor with a loud thump. I laughed.

"Are you okay?" I said still giggling. He jumped up quickly.

"Yep! Now come on. Get out of bed. It's Christmas!" He said sounding like an excited four year old.

"Okay okay. I'm coming," and I closed my eyes for a few seconds before sitting up and pulling the covers off.

Phil took my hand and pulled me downstairs and into the kitchen. My mum wasn't awake yet and I realised that this would be the first Christmas I'd spent without my grandparents and even worse it would be Phil's first Christmas without his mum.

"Can we make pancakes?" Phil asked and I smiled.

"Yeah definitely," I said smiling and grabbing a hoodie from the ironing basket and pulling it on as Phil began to get the ingredients out.

"Delia Smith?" He asked smiling.

"Delia Smith," I confirmed and he opened the recipe on my laptop and began cooking.

I jumped on the counter content to just watch Phil him and dance about as he cooked. He looked so adorable as he concentrated on flipping the pancake correctly. And even more adorable when he laughed when half of it end up on the floor.

"You spork," I said laughing and bending down to help him pick it up. He put a small bit in his mouth.

"5 second rule," he paused for a second, "tastes good," he said and stood up with the rest of it.

We made a couple more pancakes and we sat at the kitchen table eating them.

"These pancakes are amazing," I said eating the last mouthful of mine.

"Obviously. I made them," Phil said jokingly.

"Shut up," I said rolling my eyes.

"Never," he said before breaking out into singing 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' as he washed our plates.

"Morning," mum said walking into the kitchen.

"Morning, Happy Christmas," Phil said happily.

"Morning mum," I added and she smiled at the two of us. "We left you some pancakes," I said gesturing to a plate.

"Ooh yummy. Thanks," she said walking towards them.

"Oh wait here. I want to go get your present," I said to Phil and I ran out the room and upstairs. I reached under my bed and pulled out Phil's present and ran back downstairs. "Merry Christmas," I said handing it to him and kissing his cheek.

He pulled off the wrapping paper and lifted out the contents. A Muse album, along with a Fall Out Boy one and a My Chemical Romance one and some chocolates and I card.

He opened the card and two prices of paper fell out.

Fall Out Boy
UK Tour.
Manchester.
January 23
Row Seat
G 15

Fall Out Boy
UK Tour.
Manchester.
January 23
Row Seat
G 16

To Phil,

Merry Christmas.
I love you so much.

Dan xx

"Daniel James Howell, you are literally the best!" Phil said breaking into a wide grin and running towards me and wrapping his arms tightly around my neck, i smiled and wrapped my arms around him.

"I know I am," I said and Phil hit me lightly around the head and I laughed.

"Thank you so so so so much," he said.

"You're welcome Philly," I said and he pulled away from me smiling brightly clutching the concert tickets excitedly in his hand. "Don't lose them though. That could be problematic," I said smiling affectionately at him.

"Good point. I'll go put them somewhere safe," and he picked up the albums and chocolate and ran out doing this kind of skippy, jumpy thing.

I looked towards my mum who had been sat eating her pancakes and drinking her coffee at the table.

"You two really are sweet together," she said and I sat down opposite her. "And you do make him very happy. He really does love you. The way he looks at you when you aren't looking and how his eyes sparkle when you enter the room. I think he was slightly broken and I think you fixed him Dan. I'm very proud of you," she says and leant forward to ruffle my hair. "I like him a lot,"

"Yeah. Me too," I said quietly and I smiled brightly at mum.

Phil walks back into he kitchen a minute later smiling brightly at us.

"So I got you guys a present," mum says and she stands up and pulls a card out from behind the bread bin and hands it to me. "It's for both of you," she says smiling softly at Phil.

Phil walks over to me and sits on my knee as I open it.

To Dan and Phil,

What you two have is different. But what makes it different is what makes it strong. You've been with each other for quite a lot in quite a short time and watching you two together through that is special.

I love you both very much.

And out of the card fell two first class plane tickets to Japan.

My mouth fell open slightly.

"Mum-" I started quietly just as Phil jumped off my knee and hugged my mum tightly.

"Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you," he mutters into her shoulder.

"You're welcome Phil. I'm sorry, that you lost your mother and if this is anyway helps then I'm glad. I'm not saying I'll be your mother. You don't want a new one but if you ever need anything or want to talk I'm always here. And thank you for making my son so much happier," she whispers back and when Phil pulls away there are slight tears in his eyes. He blinks them away rapidly and grins at me. I grin back.

"We're going to Japan!" I say excitedly.

"Yay!" Phil says and he hugs me as well.

"Thank you so much mum. This is so generous!" I say happily.

"You're welcome honey. How about you go and watch some TV and I'll start this cooking?" She offers and I nod happily and Phil and I walk into the living you.

We flop into the sofa and he curls into me.

We're quiet for a minute before he speaks.

"You know, I thought this Christmas would be hard. Without mum. But being with you and your mum it's so easy. It's so nice. She's so kind and generous and you're so perfect and I don't know how I got so lucky," he says softly.

"I ask myself that every day. Because you, Philip Lester, are the perfect one," and I place my hand under his chin and tilt it up and bring my lips to his.