Chapter 36

The lake is just as beautiful as yesterday but looks freezing.

"Do we really have to go in?" I say to Chris.

"Yes. Don't be a wuss," he answers and I sigh.

"I think I'm just gonna sit here and watch," Phil says.

"Yeah I reckon I'm gonna join you Phil," PJ says and they sit down beside the lake. I give Chris a glare and take off my jumper and my jeans and run to the end of the dock, take a deep breath and dive into the water.

The cold water hits me and I gasp. Pain shoots through me and I push myself towards the top of the water.

"Shit! This is freezing!" I yell and the other laugh. "Your turn Chris!" I say and he looks uncertainly at the water. "Stop being a wuss. Hurry up," I say shivering.

"Dan, you're gonna freeze," Phil yelled to me.

"Yeah you're probably right,"

"Maybe you should get out," he said laughing as Chris got ready to jump in.

"Yeah. Good idea," I said through my chattering teeth and I swam towards the slippery, wooden dock and pushed myself out the water. Just as I stood up dripping wet my foot slipped on the frosty wood and my legs were swept from under me. I felt a sharp pain in my head, saw the white sky above me, heard Phil shout and then everything turned black.