Chapter 33

We spend the day watching movies, playing card games (mostly Go Fish) and at around 9 we start to get ready to go down to the lake for the firework show.

I'm wearing jeans, thick socks, a jumper, a beanie, a large coat and gloves. The others were all similarity dressed.

"I feel like a penguin," Phil says as he waddles out the house.

"You look like one too," I say grinning and kissing his cheek.

"Come lets go," Chris said and we all walk outside. "It's about a fifteen minute walk to the lake," he says.

I take Phil's hand and we follow Chris through the forest.

Twenty minutes later (due to Chris' terrible sense of direction) we arrive at a beautiful dock surrounded by a black, sparkling lake shimmering with the reflection of the moon.

"This place is beautiful," I say.

"Yeah. we can come back tomorrow if you like? Maybe go swimming?" Chris offers.

"In January?" I ask doubtfully.

"Don't be such a wuss. It won't be that cold," Chris replies.

"Okay but you're getting in first,"

"Fine!" He says and sticks his tongue out at me.

"You guys are seriously childish," PJ says.

"But you love us," I say cupping my face and smiling.

"What time is it?" Phil asks. "I'm freezing,"

"About quarter to ten I think," I answer.

We decide to sit down even though it's wet and cold and I rest my head on Phil's shoulder and hold his hand in mine. We're quiet until the fireworks start. Explosions of colour and light across the dark sky to a background of light hearted music. It's an amazing firework display and seems to last ages, when it finishes we decide its best to not even go back to the house as it will probably be midnight before we get back especially with Chris' navigation. So we stay sat on the ground.

"I think this year has been the best year of my life," Phil whispers to me. How is that possible? He lost his mother. He should be so sad and yet here he is telling me he's never been better. "Because of you," he finishes.

"I love you," I mutter.

"I love you more,"

"Not possible," 

I pull Phil onto my lap and we watch the water in front of us. I get my phone out and flick to clock and together the four of us count down to midnight.

10

9

8

"This has been the best year of my life too," I whisper.

5

I lean towards him.

4

"I'm so happy with you Dan,"

1

0

Our lips crash together, I wrap my hands in his hair and he wraps his around my neck sinking into the kiss. I lick his lips asking for entrance which he grants and I deepen the kiss. He leans further into me causing me to fall back onto the grass. We laugh and Phil pulls away from me putting his hands either side of my head to hold his weight hovering just above me.

"You're beautiful," he whispers to me.

"And you're gorgeous," I whisper back and pull his lips back towards mine and he smiles right before his lips meet mine.