Chapter 38

Why are they being so adorable in this photo??

Dans POV

I don't remember anything up until when my mums soft, warm, familiar hands wrapped around mine and I felt her voice speak to me but it sounded broken. Not like her at all.

"The doctor said you might be able to hear me, it's worth a shot I guess. I really need you Dan. You're all I have left and you are so young you don't deserve this. I want to be able to watch you finish school and go to university and get married and have kids. I want to watch you be happy. And grow old with someone you love. I would give anything for that. You just need to wake up. When you wake up everything will be fine. When you wake up you can be happy. You can be with Phil. He needs you too you know," I hear her start to cry. "We can do anything you want. Go to Hawaii. Or Japan. Watch anime. Drink hot chocolate. We can do anything you want. There's so much left for you to do. If you just wake up," she says softly breaking into soft, quiet sobs. I want to wake up for her. So badly. Tell her that I'm still here. That I'm okay. But I can't, my body isn't listening. She's quiet for a while. She begins to tell me about her day. About everything. She just talks. And I listen to her soft voice. And she falls softly to sleep in the chair beside my bed still holding my hand and still crying.

The next day, at least I think it's the next day Chris and PJ visit me. Mum tells me she'll be just outside.

"Why is it the two of you always end up in hospitals?" PJ says tiredly. "All this worrying is making me age,"

"Can he hear us?" Chris asks him.

"I think so. Maybe not. I don't know," I can. I can. I want to yell at them. I'm here. I'm still here. But I can't.

"Well if you can then please come back. Because we miss you," Chris says softly.

"A lot," PJ adds.

"I'm not good at the whole sentiment stuff but I know that I need you because we can't be Dan, Chris and PJ without Dan," Chris says.

"You've been our best friend for so many years Dan and you can't just leave us now. Please don't. Please," PJ says and I think he starts to cry. He puts his hand over mine and the two of them just sit there for a short while before my mum and the doctors return and the doctor announces he wants to return.

"O-okay, can we come back later?" PJ asks.

"Of course darling," mum says softly and I hear them leave. Why hasn't Phil come? I really want Phil to come? Where is he?