Chapter 21

Chris is let out of hospital in just under two weeks with an order of bed rest and some pain relief tablets. Phil is completely back to his normal self and I wonder if I maybe just imagined the whole thing.

He comes over a lot for meals and sleeps round quite often, my mum insists - she worries about him. We visit his mum every weekend and he goes most days after school. I don't go too often because I don't want to impose.

I'd texted Phil goodnight and had fallen asleep. It seemed so normal. A normal Saturday night. And then my phone started ringing.

I groggily woke up and scrambled around to find it, I pulled it off my bedside table and hastily answered it.

"Hello?" I asked, I could hear heavy breathing and deep sobs. Oh no.

"D-d-Dan...I...she-" I could hear Phil stuttering over his words un able to speak through all the tears.

"Phil. Baby. It's alright I'm here. I'm coming. Where are you?" I asked sitting bolt upright and grabbing a jumper from my floor not even bothering to check what it was, just throwing it on.

"I-I'm at the ho-hospital," he choked out and I nodded quickly pulling on shoes and grabbing my keys.

"It's okay baby. I'm coming. I'll be there soon. Just hold on. I'm so so sorry," I said as I ran outside to my car, I didn't even know what was wrong but maybe just maybe Phil's mum had... I shook the thought away and focused on driving.

"M-m-me too," he said hiccuping before he hung up.

I drove as fast as I could to the hospital and quickly texted mum on the way telling her where I was. When I got to the hospital I ran inside and quickly towards Phil's mums room.

Just as I turned into the corridor a tall, thin figure threw themselves at me and wrapped their thin arms around my neck. I quickly hugged him back, holding him tight, scared he might fall apart if I let go. I felt my shoulder become wetter with his tears but I just held him tighter to me.

"Phil..." I started quietly, "what happened?" I said softly stroking his hair.

"She-she...they thought she was getting better. She started remembering me. She knew who I was Dan," he said drawing a deep breath and drawing back from my hug to look at me, "I was so hopeful and I didn't want to say anything just in case it wasn't real, in case she got worse again. They called it a Surge. When a dying patient gets one last surge of energy. Of health. Before they...they...die" he finished off so quietly. Tears were falling down my face now and I quickly wiped them away, I brushed his hair away from his face and stroked my thumb across his cheek to get rid of the tears.

"Aww...Phil, baby. I'm so so sorry. I have no idea the pain you must be feeling and I'm so sorry. I really really am," I say drawing him back in for another hug.

"Phil?" I hear a voice shout followed by footsteps. Phil moves away from me and I see a tall, pretty, blonde girl running towards us. She quickly embraced Phil and he relaxes easily. "I came as soon as you texted," the girl says. I frown slight. Who was she? She pulls away from Phil and looks directly at him "I'm sorry sweetie. It'll be okay. I know it feels shit now but I promise you. We'll get through this," she says smiling so genuinely.

Phil's hand slips into mine and he offers a watery smile back to her.

"Thanks Jen," he says softly. He turns to me, "do you think...that we could maybe leave? I'm tired of all the nurses trying to make me feel better? And watching all the doctors walk around like they know what they're doing when they couldn't even save her," I squeeze his hand.

"Of course baby. You can stay at mine tonight," I said smiling softly. It was just then that the girl appeared to notice me.

"Oh. Hey," she said to me. I smiled at her.

"Hey, I'm Dan," I said politely.

"Jenny," she responded.

"Come on. Let's go," I said quietly to Phil, and he nodded meekly.

"You...don't mind, do you?" He asked Jenny.

"Of course not sweetie. I'll ring you tomorrow. I love you. Sleep well," she said as me and Phil walked away. So that was Jenny. The girl Phil broke up with to be with me. Why on earth did he do that? She's pretty, and kind. Why did he choose me?

I decided not to worry about that now and just focused on driving Phil back to mine and guiding him slowly up the stairs into my room and we fell asleep in our clothes with his head resting on my chest with tears still on his cheeks.