Chapter 29

My grandparents arrived just as we watching American Horror Story curled on the sofa on Christmas Eve. I jumped up excitedly and ran to the door as they walked in.

"Grandma!" I said as she hugged me. "Grandpa!" I said and hugged him as well.

"How's my favourite grandson?" My Grandma asked.

"I'm your only grandson," I said raising my eyebrows.

"That's why you're my favourite," and I just rolled my eyes and took their bags.

"Hiya Mum. Hi Dad," Mum said walking in. "How was the journey?"

"Loads of traffic. But we're here," my grandpa replied as I placed their bags at the bottom of the stairs.

They walked into the living room to where Phil was sat on the sofa. He stood up and offered them his hand.

"Hello. I'm Phil," he said politely.

"Hello Phil nice to meet you," my grandma replied.

"Phil is my boyfriend," I say standing beside him.

"He's your...what?" My grandpa asked.

"Boyfriend," I repeated slightly more hesitant.

"He's...your? You're...?" He said eyes flickering between me, Phil and mum.

"Gay," I finished. His face twisted in disgust and darkened. He raised his hand in front of my face and I braced myself.

"Stop!" My mum cried. "Dad...what are you doing?" She said astounded. He lowered his hand.

"It's disgusting. It's a sin. How are you possibly okay with this Julie? I thought we raised you better," he said spitefully.

"Get out," mum whispered. "Just get out. Now," she was quiet but her voice thick with anger and authority. I'd never heard her so angry. Never ever. Not even when she split up with my dad. My grandpa stared at her, then with one final glare towards me and Phil stormed out the room.

"Grandma... I-" I started but she just put her hand up to stop me.

"No. Just don't. I would never hurt you Daniel. Never. But this," she gestured to where me and Phil held hands, "it's wrong," and then she turned and grabbed their bags and followed my grandpa out.

I dropped onto the sofa and buried my face in my hands. I can't believe that just happened. I never thought my grandparents would do that to me.

"Dan, darling. It's okay. I'm so sorry," Mum said kindly bending to crouch in front of me. "It doesn't matter. Anyone who can't love you for you doesn't deserve you. You are amazing and so so beautiful and strong,"

"She's right. You're perfect," Phil added sitting next to me.

"Definitely. I really am sorry Dan. I had no idea they would react like that. I'm so sorry," mum said regretfully.

"It's not your fault," I said lifting my head from my hands. "You're the best mum in the entire world," and she smiled sweetly at me and gave me a hug.

"I'm going to make us some hot chocolates. And then we can watch American Thriller Story or whatever it is you like to watch and she stroked my head before walking into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry baby," Phil said and I leant into him.

"It's okay. I'm just...shocked I guess," I said quietly. Tears fell softly from my eyes.

"Dan you can love whoever you want. It doesn't affect them. It only affects us. You. And me. It's our choice. You deserve to be happy. And if being with me makes you happy then don't let anyone tell you it's wrong or disgusting. Because I know that for me this is one of the only things I've done right in my entire life. It definitely doesn't feel wrong or disgusting. It feels perfect. And I think I might just love you Daniel James Howell," I looked into his bright blue eyes. Those eyes that I loved so much. He smiled at me. I really loved his smile.