Chapter 14

When the two came to the edge of the woods they look at each other. Hiccup felt a twitch of uneasiness, worrying what others might think if they sat he and Jack holding hands. Jack must've been feeing the same thing, he squeezed Hiccup's and and led him forward into the town.

"Jack," Valka said standing in the doorway to their house with Stoick behind her, "how's your family?" She asks.

Jack stops and squeezes Hiccup's hand.
"Um, they're - they're fine." He mutters and hangs his head.

"You should have them come visit us," suggests Stoick manipulatively. Valka and Stoick did some investigating, and figured out that Jack lives by himself. That's why he is always at their place.

Jack nods, but then sighs. He doesn't want to lie to his closest thing he has to a family. "Actually..." he starts but doesn't go on. Hiccup looks to his new boyfriend, looking quite depressed all of a sudden. Hiccup knew this was a touchy subject. Hiccup patted Jack's back.

"Jack," Valka says walking towards him, "We know about your family." She says and embraces him in a hug. Jack willingly accepts the hug and buries is face into her soft jacket.
"How?" He asks sniffling.
"Stoick and I were wondering why you always seemed to be over at our house. Don't get me wrong we enjoy your company very much. We were just curious. So Stoick one day went around neighboring towns and asked around. He soon discovered what happened. I'm sorry Jack."
"I see," he said after Valka finished and wiped away his tears.
"Come inside Jack," Stoick suggested.
Stoick, Valka, Hiccup, and Jack walked into the Haddock household, only to be greeted by the ebony colored cat, Toothless. Jack reached down to pet Toothless. Toothless happily accepts the attention and purrs loudly. Making sure not to fall back behind the Haddocks, he picks up Toothless and follows them into their gathering room. It's a room with two couches facing each other with a coffee table separating them. A small fireplace roars on the back wall, with bookshelves lining the walls like wallpaper.