Phase One Complete

"Okay, here goes nothing," you whisper into your walkie-talkie. "Heartthrob out."

B/f/n glances up at you as you walk into the kitchen. "Oh, hey, y/n. What's up?"

"Nothing much," you reply, setting your walkie-talkie down on the table. Everyone agreed that you were the best person to approach b/f/n, since she might get suspicious if any of the other ninja start prying into her love life.

"So, B/f/n," you say as casually as possible.

B/f/n squints suspiciously. "What are you up to?"

"I was just wondering about your crush on Lloyd," you say innocently.

"What—but—how did you—is it really—I mean—" B/f/n splutters incredulously. She flushes pink before straightening up and saying, "I do not have a crush on Lloyd."

"Then what was all that blushing and stuttering?" you ask teasingly.

B/f/n hits you in the face with a placemat. "I do not have a crush on Lloyd. We're just friends, good buddies, one hundred percent platonic, end of story. Besides, you know he'd never like me that way."

"Who said anything about him liking you back?" you ask innocently.

"You did!"

You shake your head and try not to laugh. "No, I asked if you liked him. I never said he liked you."

B/f/n scowls and stamps one foot, her face going the shade of a ripe tomato. "That's because he doesn't. And we aren't."

"Aren't what?"

"Nothing!"

B/f/n is saved from having to answer any more of your questions when a burst of static comes through your walkie-talkie.

"Okay, I'm going in. Hedgehog out."

"Is this really the correct idea? Hedgehog has already failed to complete this part of the mission once. Perhaps I should—" Zane's voice is drowned out by a chorus of yelling from Jay and Cole.

You lunge across the table, but b/f/n gets the walkie-talkie first and presses the button. "Zane, is that you?"

The argument over the walkie-talkie goes silent for a few seconds. "Abort! Abort! Mission compromised, I repeat, mission compromised! Abort!"

"Will you shut up, Jay?" Cole yells through the walkie-talkie.

"That's Agent Zing to you, Fruitcake!"

B/f/n glares at you suspiciously. "What are you up to?"

Now it's your turn to get nervous. "Nothing," you say, trying not to sound like you're panicking. "Ignore the morons."

"Hey!" Jay and Cole both yell. "I heard that!"

You grab the walkie-talkie from b/f/n and turn it off. "So, anyway, I was just leaving." You scramble out of the kitchen before b/f/n can ask any awkward questions.

Once you're around the corner and certain she can't hear you, you turn the walkie-talkie back on. "Great job, guys. You just blew my cover."

"It was Ice Cream's fault!" Jay protests.

"Oh, sure," Cole replies. "And what was all that 'Mission compromised, mission compromised! Abort!''?" He says the last part in a high-pitched imitation of Jay's voice.

You hear a sigh. "The point is, were you able to get an answer?" Zane asks.

"Yep," you reply with a grin. "B/f/n is head-over-heels."

A chorus of cheers comes through the speaker. "All right!" Cole says. "On to phase two."