Chapter 48

Selena

I threw my head back in laughter and held my stomach from the pain. I was still in class with Miguel, and he was telling me funny stories of what happened to him in baseball.

"Silent" I heard the teacher grumble, then went back to typing on her phone.

I stifled a laugh and shook my head at Miguel, "Let me do my work and stop distracting me."

He chuckled, "Don't pretend you're not enjoying my stories."

I rolled my eyes playfully and stayed silent, while reading my book. I felt Miguel's stare and I sighed, "Why are you looking at me?"

"Because you're beautiful."

I burst out laughing, making everyone turn their heads to us. I covered my mouth and tried to think of something else to stop me from laughing, "Stop trying to be Augustus from The Fault in our Stars," I said and he chuckled lightly.

"It's a good book" He shrugged and grinned.

"Okay that's enough, Miguel go back to your seat" The substitute said loudly, and mumbled something about hating teenagers.

Miguel stood up and picked up his books before walking back to his seat. The rest of the period went by slowly because it was extremely boring. When the bell rang, I packed my things and stood up.

"She's so rude", I heard Miguel's voice from behind me. I nodded in response as we both walked out of the classroom to see Justin with his hands shoved in his jean pockets.

I smiled and walked up to him, forgetting about Miguel. My smile faded away when I noticed his worried expression, "Is everything alright?"

"No, walk with me while I explain" He mumbled sternly and began walking, me by his side.

I quickened my pace, "Explain, you're getting me worried".

"Remember that day when we went to get Tyler's money back?" He looked at me and I nodded quickly, "What did you tell the guy who was bothering you?"

I tried to remember clearly what happened and bit the inside of my cheek anxiously, "Just my name, why? You're scaring me."

He stopped walking once we were outside the school building and stared at me, "He threatened to kill you. That guy, his name is Brandon. He got pissed after what you and I did to him".

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I was only defending myself. Why would he want to kill me just because I kicked him and you beat the crap out of him?" I asked timidly. I was honestly terrified at the moment, but I didn't show it very much.

"Brandon gets what he wants. He doesn't care about anything but himself and money. Right now, he's pissed and is willing to kill anyone who gets in his way." He said, and I felt everything spin around me.

"Who told you this? How do you know this?" I asked eagerly, hoping he would say he was just kidding and we could just laugh it off and have lunch somewhere.

He leaned against a pole, "Brandon called me, and told me he would kill you because he knows I love you and it would hurt me" He said casually.