XXVI.

"Good afternoon Ms. Rayner." Doctor Joseph said greeting me shaking my hand. "How's the pregnancy?"

"I haven't had any problems lately, so I've been doing good."

He flipped through a whole bunch of papers in his notepad.

"So today you're 4 1/2 months today."

"Already?" I asked him.

"Yup, you are. So you're far along enough to have the gender be determined. If you wish to know the gender of the baby I can do a ultrasound today."

"I wanna know." I told him as I laid back on the chair letting him rub the gel on my stomach while I looked up on the screen watching the baby move around.

"Now all we have to do is wait for the baby to open the legs."

After more than twenty minutes of sitting around I was slowly dosing off. I had just gotten back from a stressful day of work and all I wanted to do was go home, stuff my face to satisfy my cravings, and go to sleep. That was my daily routine.

"There it goes!" The doctor shouted as my eyes shot open. "There's the two legs and that's the penis." He said pointing it out to me on the screen.

" He said pointing it out to me on the screen

"Congratulations to you on your son Ms. Rayner." He said as he handed me a ultrasound picture. "Raising a son isn't gonna be easy, I've raised four and all of them were close in age. They used to bounce off the walls all the time. It was hard to tame them, but I wish the best to you." He said shaking my hand.

My son was going to be disciplined, even if I had to whoop his ass.

"Thank you." I said leaving the office and texting Lauren the ultrasound picture.

OMG! Congratulations Bryson got just what he wanted
-Laurieee 💘

😫 Don't even mention Bryson. He already has his big ass head.

Good luck preventing him from head butting the shit outta you
-Laurieee 💘

I can always count on you for positivity 😐😒

I unlocked the front door of the house to a clean living room, just the way I left it. That's how I knew Bryson wasn't here. Nothing could ever stay clean around him. We haven't socialized or even made contact in two weeks even though we were living in the same house.

After grabbing some snacks out of the pantry I FaceTimed Carmin since we don't talk as much as we used to.

"Bestie!" I said into the microphone.

She was feeding Vera a bottle on camera.

"Vera has a fever." She said. "It's been soooo stressful, she hasn't been sleeping at all." She sighed.

"Awww." I cooed.

"But I know you don't want to hear all this stuff about me. What's good with you?"

"Well, I just came back from my doctor's appointment and I know what I'm having."

"What is it?!" She enthusiastically said.

"It's a boy."

"Oh my godddd!!!!" She over exaggerated. "I'm so happy for you, but be careful when changing his diaper. Little boys will piss on you."

"I'm ready for whatever challenges I'll face raising a little boy."

"You seen what he looks like in the ultrasound?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"Whose features does he have?"

"Bryson's head. No doubt about it."

She laughed.

"The other features are hard to make out right now."

"As long as he has your hair he'll be good. Bryson's nappy shit ain't cutting it."

"I said the same thing!" I laughed.

"You don't know how happy I was when I found out that Vera had my hair."

Vera was a biracial child so she had a 50/50 chance of having Derek's African-American hair and having Carmin's Hispanic hair.

"I definitely don't want my child to have Bryson's hair. Going through his naps with the comb can break the comb."

That was a fact.

"Even if he does have Bryson's hair, he'll still be adorable." She said wiping Vera's face with the bib. "Jus hit me up with any baby shower information."

"I'm gonna work on it soon."

"Oh my god, Vera." Carmin complained as Vera threw up everywhere. "I'll talk to you later Jai. Now I gotta clean all this up."

"Okay. Text me." I said hanging up.

I watched a Real Housewives of Atlanta marathon for a majority of the night. For the rest of the night before I fell asleep I smiled at the fact that I was having my own child. I was already thinking of names, but whatever I liked, Bryson had to agree on.
That was if me and him were on good terms before the birth of our son...