XXXV.

"So your father still talkin' shit?" Bryson said on the FaceTime call.

He was currently in California for a few shows this week.

"Yeah, but he's irrelevant. I'm way more concerned about seeing  you soon."

"I miss you too baby, and 'bout time I get back you'll be healed and we can get our freak on again."

"You're wild." I laughed.

"What you doin' today?" He asked.

"My eight month doctor visit in a few hours, but I just can't believe how close we are to meeting Trent."

"I can't wait till he come to I can show him how to get all the bitches."

Hopefully, Bryson can teach him about protected sex since that's what his father failed to do with him.

"You're not making our son a hoe." I chuckled.

"Nah, he ain't gon be a hoe. He just gon be a handsome ass nigga with all the hoes all up on him like his daddy."

"I think you're feeling yourself a bit too much Bryson."

"I'm a sexy ass nigga I ain't gon lie. What woman wouldn't wanna be with me?"

"A dyke." I answered.

"You really be thinkin' you funny. I can turn a dyke bitch out."

"Whatever you say Bryson, but how's the tour for you?"

"It's a lot of work since I always gotta do these vocal exercises and shit they got me doin' here."

"You poor baby." I sarcastically cooed.

"I'll talk to you later. It's about to be ten in a while and I gotta warm up my vocals for this show tonight."

"Good luck baby. I love you." I said.

"I love you too." He said as we hung up.

After scrolling through my Instagram feed after a while, I looked at the clock realizing that it was already eleven and my appointment was at twelve-thirty. I still had time though, but I would be cutting it close.

After hopping out the shower I got dressed into something casual. Bending over to put on my shoes was always a struggle, but I managed to used to it and the gist of the whole pregnancy thing.

I grabbed my purse off my bedroom dresser when my phone rang. I answered it holding the phone between my shoulder and ear while I tried to pick out my car key from all the other keys on my keychain.

"So I guess you don't know how to call me anymore." Carmin's voice echoed through the receiver.

"Sorry, I'm just always busy."

"How're you busy when you're on maternity leave?"

"Just being pregnant and everything's been keeping me busy."

"When I was pregnant I called you frequently."

"And are we the same person Carmin?" I said as I opened the car door putting the phone on speaker and sitting it inside the cup holder as I started the car.

I heard her sigh.

"Anyways," she started. "You know Vera is turning 1 next month and I'm thinking about ideas for parties, but whatever I decide to do I want you there."

"I don't know if I'll be able to go, but we'll see."

"And why wouldn't you come?"

"By then, I'm sure Trent'll be here and he'll be too young to take out in public, just to avoid him getting sick when he's barely a month old."

She sighed again.

"If it was Lauren you would go." She mumbled.

Jealousy.

"What's the whole thing with you and Lauren?"

"I just feel like we faded ever since you met her, but I'll just make new friends."

"Carmin, you're lucky to have a friend like me that puts up with all your bs because there are very few females that will."

"Whatever, I don't even want to talk about that subject because you always end up lecturing me."

"Maybe because I actually care about you."

"Okay, it's whatever."

I knew she was rolling her eyes right about now.

"But Derek's in jail."

"I'm not surprised."

"I figured you wouldn't be."

"For how long?"

"Five years, at most."

"For drug possession?"

"You know it."

"Has he even seen Vera?"

"Never, I don't even think he knows what she looks like. Oh, and did I mention, he got another girl pregnant?"

"Carmin, I hope you understand that you're married to this guy whose in jail, whose never even met his own daughter and who has about ten kids."

"I know, I know. I should've listened to you. You were right."

"So what're you gonna do now?"

"Well, divorce isn't an option. We can't afford it, but maybe we can make it work this time."

"I don't think that's the best idea Carmin. What you need to do, is get a decent job make sure that you and Vera are stable, then you can get back into the dating arena again."

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Jai."

"You'd probably be dead by now, I'm sure."

"I'll try doing that, and I'll talk to you later."

"Okay." I said as we hung up and I went inside the office.

"Nice to see you again Jailee. You can have a seat right over there and we can get started." Doctor Joseph said as I took a seat.

"So according to your file, you're 8 1/2 months along now which is pretty far. Hopefully, the next time I see you will be in the hospital when you're in labor."

"I hope so too."

"You know the routine right?"

"Yup." I replied as I laid down allowing him to apply the gel to my stomach as he moved the monitor around until he found the baby.

"He's grown a lot since our last visit."

"He's had me eating a lot lately." I laughed.

"His heart beat and everything is as it should be. One thing I suggest is that you remain at home for the next two weeks until the baby comes so you can have the most comfortable birth possible."

"Okay, I'll do that. Thanks for everything." I said shaking his hand.

I posted another ultrasound picture on my Instagram captioning it:

"Our baby's almost here 🍼👶🏽💕 @BrysonTiller."