Illinois

Emily and Jack woke up that morning pretty early. Jack slipped on his clothes and kissed Emily goodbye. He went on his way as Emily got into a cool shower. It was only 7am which was pretty early for Emily.
Emily took about 10 minutes in the shower until getting out and throwing on a tank top and shorts. She went to the kitchen and decided to make some breakfast for her and Tilly. She went to the refrigerator and grabbed some pancake mix from the cabinet and mixed it up. She heated up the pan and started making some. She grabbed some bacon from the refrigerator knowing Tilly loves it even though she didn't and started cooking it as well. The breakfast was soon done.
The smell of bacon woke Tilly up about ten minutes later and she was very happy to eat the delicious breakfast.
Emily sat down on a barstool by the island and ate two pancakes and some fruit from the fridge.
"Thanks Ems. This is yummy." Tilly said sitting on a stool by her eating a piece of bacon.
"You're wel-" Emily gasped feeling something soft brush against her ankle.
"Tilly. Did you get a kitten?" Emily calmed down a bit.
"Well, me and Matt did." Tilly smiled leaning down to pick up the kitten to pet it.
"What's his or her name?" Emily asked petting the top of the kitten's head.
"Cleo." Tilly smiled, "her name is Cleo."
"I like it."
"I'm so tired." Tilly said changing the subject," I have to leave for my flight at 8 tonight so I can get there in the morning."
"Did you pack?"
"No I need to do that!" Tilly said slightly panicked and getting out of the stool.
"Wait. Am I going with you?"
"No babe. You and Jack have the place all to yourselves for the weekend. Matt is coming with me. He wanted to meet my family."
"Awh cute! And okay. That will be good for you too."
"Yeah." Tilly laughed walking into her room and grabbing a floral printed suitcase from PINK.
She opened the doors to her walk in closet and looked around. Walking in she grabbed three tank tops from PINK, four pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans, two t shirts, a crop top, and two dresses. She always packed options. Especially for Illinois knowing the weather there changes like everyday.
She walked over to her dresser pulling out a few pairs of socks and underwear. And then headed over to underneath her bed, searching for shoes.
Tilly had too many shoes to count but she had a serious Converse obsession. She pulled a pair of white high top ones tossing then in the suitcase, she then pulled a pair of light pink ones, and then some black vans. She put those in and grabbed her favorite snapback and then one she had stole from Matt.
"Em come help me. I can't decide if I have everything."
"Jesus Tilly." Emily said walking in and seeing all the stuff she had packed, "you're only going for three days you don't need this much." She laughed.
"But I do." Tilly laughed grabbing her curling wand and straightener to put in the bag.
"Shampoo. Hair brush. Toothpaste." She checked off things off her list out loud as Emily listened and sat on her bed.
"Sounds like you're packed for two weeks." Emily joked.
"Whatever. At least I'm set." She said zipping up the bag and putting it in the corner.
She grabbed her favorite Vans backpack and packed it with her iPad, earbuds, phone, her favorite book 'Paper Towns', a bag of sour skittles for the flight.

Later that day

"Bye Ems. I love you. Be safe." Tilly said hugging Emily
"Bye babe. Have a safe flight. I hope everything goes okay. Love you." She hugged her back tightly as Matt waited by the door holding Tilly's suitcase.
She walked out the door and got in the car with Matt.
"Illinois here we come."
"Well we got to go to the airport first." Tilly wasn't in the best mood knowing she wasn't just going home for fun.
"I know babe." Matt said sensing her not playful mood.
About a half hour later they arrived at the airport making their way in. They searched for their flight number on the board and walked towards it. They went through security check surprisingly quick. Once they got through Tilly was knocked down by two girls about her age trying to get to Matt. "Oh my gosh Matt we love you so much. Your movie is awesome." They squealed and handed him things to sign. Matt took a quick picture with them and signed their stuff. Tilly had gotten up but was even more annoyed now.
"I'm sorry babe. I was gonna help you I just didnt-" she cut him off.
"It's fine." She pulled her suitcase behind her.
*Matt's POV*
I wish I could just make her smile. And make her realize it's gonna be okay. She looks so beautiful today wow. She is just wearing some Hollister jeans, a yellow crop top and grey vans but it's so perfect. The way her long hair falls down her back. I love her so much. I want her to be happy.
*Tilly's POV*
I feel so bad I'm taking it all out on Matthew. He is being so supportive and sweet but I know I am hurting his feelings. I can't look back at him because I am embarrassed about yelling at him. I'm just gonna have to think about how cute he looks today. He is wearing khakis and an adorable blue hoodie with blue vans. His flowing brown hair coming out of his hoodie made me melt. I am truly in love with this boy. I wish I could stop making him feel bad.
~~~
They arrived on the plane about 20 minutes of walking. Tilly sat down in her seat by the window and Matthew placed their bags in the shelves above. He sat down by her and looked at her sad eyes that were watching the people get on. He grabbed her hand and interlocked his fingers with hers forcefully. She didn't say anything.
The plane took off and they were soon in the air. Tilly pulled out her sour skittles from the backpack sitting at her feet.
She held the package out for Matt to grab one and he did. After eating some she put them back and then cuddled up to Matt. She put her head in his chest and wrapped up her arms with her feet curled up in her seat. He leaned down and kissed her temple causing her nose to scrunch up.
"That was cute." Matthew said with a slight giggle.
"Your lips are cold." Tilly mumbled slightly tired. Matthew reached over her and pulled the window cover closed. She closed her eyes fully and fell asleep in his arms. Matthew carefully pulled off his hoodie noticing Tilly shaking from being cold. He pulled off his hoodie without Tilly waking up and placed it on her body covering her arms and torso.
After a long flight, it was morning. Tilly woke up and smiled up at Matt who was looking out the now open window.
"Good morning beautiful." Matt said kissing her rosey cheek that was turned up at him.
"Good morning." She kissed his smiling lips and then stretched a little setting his hoodie on his lap.
"Thank you for flying with us" the voice finally said over the intercom. Matt pulled down the suitcases and followed behind Tilly getting off the plane.
"Is your mom picking us up at the airport?" Matt asked pulling the suitcases.
"Uh yeah. She should be.." Tilly looked down at her phone then back up pointing, " there she is." She walked over to her mom and hugged her tightly. Her mom kissed her forehead and looked at Matt with a confused look.
"Mom this is Matt." Tilly said smiling.
"Matt. As in Matt Espinosa the guy you were totally obsessed and in love with growing up?" Tilly's mom smiled at him shaking his hand. Matt laughed and Tilly shook her head in embarrassment.
"I don't know what you're talking about." Tilly said walking towards the door to the parking garage.
"She really was." Tilly said to Matt as they both walk behind her. Matt laughed still pulling the suitcases.
As they found her mom's car they put the bags in the trunk and hopped in the backseat. They listened to some music and caught up on the ride to the hospital.
"I figured we could go to the hospital first since it is on the way home and then go home and put your bags away and get settled." Tilly's mom said driving down the highway. Tilly nodded in agreement not being able to tell her mom she wasn't ready to see her grandpa like this just yet. She grabbed Matts hand tightly and he moved closer to her reassuring her and keeping her safe.
They arrived at the hospital and they got into the elevator. Tilly was wearing Matts hoodie because she got chilly. Illinois was humid and hot but the hospital's cold air made her shiver. She wasn't ready for this. She wasn't. She daydreamed on the way up about walking up and him being better. Him being okay. But that didn't happen.
She walked into the room at the beginning of the hall seeing her grandpa lying there with a blanket half on him. His eyes were cold and his face was pale. He was small and skinny as usual but sickly skinny almost. Matt Sat in a chair next to Tilly's mom and Tilly went over to the side of the bed. A tear fell down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away. She couldn't break down. Not yet. She had to be strong.
"Is he sleeping?" Tilly asked her mom.
"Eh kinda. He is off and on lately." She replied sitting in the chair. Tilly grabbed her grandpa's hand not expecting him to respond. She wanted him to know she was there no matter if he truly knew or not. He squeezed her hand slightly back and Tilly sighed in relief knowing he could sense her presence.
They visited for about an hour and a half. Tilly kissed him on the head and whispered 'I love you' to her grandpa before walking away. She had the sleeve ends of Matt's hoodie wrapped around her pink painted nails and was leaning her head on his shoulder. They were about to walk on when she heard "I love you too Til" whisper from her grandpa. And then. 'Beeeeeeeppppp'. He was gone. Tears fell from her mom's cheeks and Tilly was a mess. She sobbed into Matts chest as he stood holding her. Her grandpa was gone. There was nothing she could do about it.